GEORGE-L Archives

Archiver > GEORGE > 2001-04 > 0986430216

From: Doris Snyder <>
Subject: [GEORGE-L] HICKS/HARNESS/GEORGE
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 20:19:24 -0500

Nancy was born in KY. She died in El Reno, OK. Nancy resided at one
time in Pulaski Co., KY. Later she lived in Ponca City, Oklahoma. My
mother remembers her grandmother, Nancy, as having run a hemstitch
machine in El Reno for a time. She said Nancy later ran a hotel or
boarding house in Ponca City, OK, called Garland Rooms.That's all I know
about her.

I know nothing about Jonathan, and although I know nothing about Mary, I
do know a little about her parents. Notes on John & Nancy (Anderson)
Harness: John and Nancy came by wagon train from Kentucky to Missouri in
1868 with their nine children. They bought 40 acres of government land
in Lafayette Co., 10 miles southwest of Higginsville, MO., for $2.50 an
acre. They lived there until their deaths and are buried at Oak Grove
Cemetery, 12 miles north of Warrensburg, MO. Notes of David and
Elizabeth (Payne) Harness: David owned a grist mill near the present
Brodhead, KY. They crossed through the "Great Stone Gap" by pack horse
from Wythe Co., VA, into Kentucky in 1787. They had 7 children. Notes
on Michael Harness: Michael had a fort called "Buttermilk Station" in
Virginia. Two of his sons, Conrad and Peter, were killed by Indians.
Although daughters names are not known at this time they married the
following into the following surnames: Trumbo, Cunningham, Inskeepk
Yokum, and VanMeter.

Hope this helps. I am also beginning to seriously research my husband's
HICKS from VA, KY to MO. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Doris

This thread: