GEORGE-L ArchivesArchiver > GEORGE > 2001-04 > 0986857854
Subject: [GEORGE-L] Philadelphia, PA George's
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:10:54 EDT
Haven't posted my George line in awhile so thought I'd try - hitting a brick
wall with them as always! Here's what I have. Does the name "Scott" ring a
bell with any of you George folks as a family name? I've got 3 George's with
the same name - James Scott George, and don't know where it comes from:
James Scott George, b. 1819 (approx) Ireland, m. Sarah Irvin/Irvine. Moved to
Philadelphia, PA, at some point.
- James Scott George, b. 3-6-1839, Philadelphia, PA, died 8-17-1929,
Burlington, NJ, buried Mt Moriah Cemetery, Philadelphia
- Mary Ann George, b. approx 1841
- Martha George, b. approx 1843
- William George, b. approx 1845
- Robert George, b. approx 1845
- Samuel George, b. approx 1849/1850
The James Scott George above (b. 3-6-1839) married Sarah A. Wilson (b. 1842
(?), Ireland, died before 1920) in Philadelphia. Their children include:
- James Scott George (another one!), b. 12-9-1864, Philadelphia, married Ada
B. Gilbert in 1890. Ada was born 8-7-1869.
- Sallie/Sarah George, b. approx 1872
- John Wilson George, b. 4-12-1868, Philadelphia, married Mabel E. Gamble,
died 12-12-1933, Burlington, NJ, buried I.O.O.F., Burlington, NJ.
John Wilson George above and Mabel E. Gamble had 10 children in Burlington NJ:
- James S. George, 1891-1911
- Robert G. George, 1894-?
- Rebecca M. George, 1896-198?, married Earl Gardiner
- Sarah A. George, 1898-1903
- John W. George, 1900-1959
- Henry G. George, 1902-1919
- William George, 1906-1906
- Elizabeth Kemley George, 1908-1988 (my grandmother)
- Mabel H. George, 1910-?
- Mark A. George, 1915-1929
Most of the male George's that I'm aware of were machinists both in
Philadelphia and Burlington, NJ.
If you see any connection, I'd love to hear from you!
Holly Knott in Bucks County, Pa