GEORGE-L Archives

Archiver > GEORGE > 2007-12 > 1197307496

From:
Subject: Re: [GEORGE] Parents and Family of Wesley Calvin GEORGE (1840-1922)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:24:56 -0500
References: <000b01c83b3f$ceaef4d0$5d0d7518@DHJ0KNB1><001601c83b47$5ed82700$6401a8c0@bob>
In-Reply-To: <001601c83b47$5ed82700$6401a8c0@bob>

I have as great-great-great grandfather whose name on his gravestone is also written Georg (first name Jonathon). He was born about 1798 (possibly in Germany) and lived in Columbia County, PA, for all his life. He died in 1860. I have been unable to find out for sure where he came from in Germany or when he arrived here. SOme census data lists him as being born in PA, so perhaps it was his father who came from Germany. Jennifer

From: Bob Smith <>
Sent: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:11 am
Subject: Re: [GEORGE] Parents and Family of Wesley Calvin GEORGE (1840-1922)

Hi Vicki, On my GG Grandfather gravestone they have his name spelled Georg,
I am wondering now if it was misspelled as we think or if it was actually
correct His name is Samuel J. Georg on the stone from Smyth/Grayson Co. Va.
area........Bob

From: "Vicki Stewart" <>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [GEORGE] Parents and Family of Wesley Calvin GEORGE (1840-1922)

> Hi all, I have been reading this thread as it has been going on through
> the rootsweb site...... It is interesting to read about all of the
> origins of Georges. I have one more to add to the list. My line of
> Georges immigrated to the U.S. in 1855 from Leibenscheid, Germany. The
> last name was spelled Georg (without the e in German). My
> g-g-grandfather
> was Johannes Gerlach George, born in March 1821 in Leibenscheid, Germany
> and
> died in Leavenworth, KS in July 10, 1876, married to Johanetta Simon in
> 1946, also born and married in Leibenscheid, Germany.
> Vicki Stewart
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:] On
> Behalf Of Dafydd
> Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 12:37 AM
> Subject: Re: [GEORGE] Parents and Family of Wesley Calvin GEORGE
> (1840-1922)
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:] On
> Behalf Of SANDRA MARTIN
> Sent: Monday, 10 December 2007 8:34 a.m.
> Subject: Re: [GEORGE] Parents and Family of Wesley Calvin GEORGE
> (1840-1922)
> This is interesting. My James Hill George had a brother John James George
> who went to England in 1874 and I have found cousins there. I am going to
> send your information to Richard Dixon one of them. Our grgrgrandfather's
> (the two mentioned above) link us.
> I think this bares further scrutiny as there may be a connection yet.
> Do you know what part of Wales your Georges might have come from? I am
> going
> to do some detective work to see if that name (Wesley Calvin George) comes
> up or has come up in any of my research.
> I look forward to talking with you again. New Zealand is a place I have
> always wanted to go. Maybe some day. Until them I am here in Maricopa,
> Arizona USA.
> Sandra Martin
> P.S. I just found a Wesley Calvin George b. 1840 d. 1922 and married to a
> Rebecca Poteet, on Familysearch.org. Is he the correct one?
> From: Dafydd<mailto:>
> To: <mailto:>
> Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 10:41 AM
> Subject: Re: [GEORGE] Parents and Family of Wesley Calvin GEORGE
> (1840-1922)
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <mailto:>
> [mailto:] On
> Behalf Of SANDRA MARTIN
> Sent: Sunday, 9 December 2007 1:31 p.m.
> To: <mailto:>
> Subject: Re: [GEORGE] Parents and Family of Wesley Calvin GEORGE
> (1840-1922)
> My Georges came from Wales in 1879 so no connection, sorry. Good luck in
> your search.
> Sandra
> George Richard George arrived here from Liverpool in 1879. Family
> tradition
> says he was Welsh... my genealogy trails through central England and
> possibly originates in Wales.
> I read that the origin of the George name is Flemish. This came about
> through Flemish weavers migrating to Wales. Of course it is not likely
> that
> all people named George originated the same way.
> David George.
> New Zealand.
> Hi... I wish chasing Georges was easy... there are four families of
> Georges
> in this valley and not of them are related. My great grandfather has a
> brother Clifford living on Liverpool Welsh quarter in 1879 and I would be
> most interested if he left descendents.
> The most famous George was David Lloyd George who was a British Prime
> Minister. I obtained the Flemish link information from a biography of him.
> One George family around here were from Cornwall. Since many of the
> Cornish
> miners had Welsh names I would surmise that that had migrated southwards
> from South Wales.
> Also in Otago NZ there are families of Georges who are Lebanese.
> David.
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.17/1179 - Release Date:
> 9/12/2007
> 11:06 a.m.
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> --
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.17/1179 - Release Date:
> 12/9/2007 11:06 AM

-------------------------------
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
the message

________________________________________________________________________
More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003