GEORGE-L Archives

Archiver > GEORGE > 2008-02 > 1201925280

From: "Vicki Stewart" <>
Subject: [GEORGE] Gerlach GEORGE from Germany
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:08:00 -0600

Hi George Genealogists....

I have been reading with great interest the conversations back and forth
with the George's from England. I was wondering if anyone out there is
researching any Georg (the German spelling is without the "e", however, when
they immigrated to U.S., they added the e)

My great-great grandfather Gerlach George, (b:1821 in Leibenscheid, Germany,
in the Westerwald )western forest) of Germany/ His parents were Johannes
Peter Geor and Dorother Luisa Brandenburger Georg. He was married to
Johanetta Simon (B: Dec 25, 1822 in Leibenscheid, Germany) to parents Martin
Sim,on and Catherina Friedsd Simin. They were Married on March 15, 1846 in
Leibenscheid. They had 4 children: Wilhelm, Wilhelmina Karl, and Helena.

They applied for permission to emigrate to the US from the Dukedom of Nassau
on September 19, 1853. They left Germany sometime after Helena birth in
October. She was baptized in Leibenscheid, according to the church records.
IT has been said that Helena died on the trip to America and was buried at
sea. I think they arrived sometime in 1854. Haven't been able to find
their names on ship passenger lists,,,,,,,

The first record for Gerlach and Johanetta George is found in Leavenworth
Kansas dated August 12, 1858.

Just curious if there are any German Georg(e)'s out there ??????

Vicki (George) Stewart