GEORGE-L Archives

Archiver > GEORGE > 2008-08 > 1219525972

From: "David" <>
Subject: Re: [GEORGE] George
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:12:52 +1200

----- Original Message -----
From: "James George" <>
To: <>
Cc: <>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:51 AM

>I disagree. Strongly, in fact.
> I have seen more discussion about the George surname in the last month
> than
> I have in the previous twelve months. Likewise, I have learned quite a bit
> about some of the earliest Georges by reading about everyone's research,
> about whether their ancestors came from Wales, Ireland, or Germany. A
> listserv is supposed to be a forum of exchange of ideas centered around a
> common topic, and I think everyone has been doing just that.

I like my family history to be enjoyable. I like to follow a narrative and
through
research find out how true it was. After all the hopes and dreams of my
forebears
are just as important as the names places and dates.

I studied the life and forebears of David Lloyd George who was at one time
the British Prime Minister. His family narrative was that his line
originated
from South Wales. There is a vast inland waterway there. The name in
his legend originated from Flanders. Flemish weavers came in numbers to
Britain in the 14th century. it was a part of the woollen trade. I don't
believe
we can trace the family line to every George, but it is the name essentially
which travelled. I wonder sometimes if the German Georges also originated
from the south west of Germany and have distant links to Flanders.

The most famous German George I know of was Stefan George who was
a famous poet.

Yes. I like the conversation.

pob bendith
many blessings