GEORGIA-L Archives

Archiver > GEORGIA > 1997-10 > 0877006219

From: Blendia Nawrocki <>
Subject: LadyMary
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:50:19 -0400

Hi Georgia Rooters

This is for LadyMary and for others thar are not aware that each US
census has a mortality schedule that is available. This schedule list
information for each person that died in theyear preceeding the census
year. In LadyMary's case she would look at the 1900 census mortality
schedule.
I have found a couple of ancestors information from these census forms.

Blendia

>------------------------------
>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:16:21 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Massey-White Marriage
>
>Hi,
>
>I would like to ask you for your help along these lines, if you wouldn't
>mind. I have had great difficulty in finding this family.
>
>Information I have, follows:
>
>I refer to the ancestor Massey and his wife as `Male' and `Female' for I
>don't know their firsts names yet.
>
>`Male' Massey married `Female' White and are said to have married in
>Alabama, not known where they were each born. `Male' Massey had a younger
>brother by the name of Gilford Massey. `Male' Massey was supposedly killed
>during the Civil War, and Gilford helped his sister in-law `Female'
>White-Massey raise her children, the only one whose name we know is Ida Abiah
>(different spellings possible) Massey. Ida was born 26 May 1861 in
>Birmingham, Alabama.
>
>Apparently, when Ida was about 9 years old, the family left Alabama and came
>to Texas.
>
>Ida met James Monroe Singleton, born 24 July 1862 or 1863 in Arkansas,
>according to the 1880 Hopkins County, Texas census. He was listed under the
>household of:
>
>G.M.C. Massey, born in Georgia, age 31, parents both born in Georgia
>E.L. Massey, wife, born in Arkansas, age 20
>G.M.C. Massey, son, born in Texas, age 2 1/2 yearts
>J.M. Singleton, brother in-law, born in Arkansas, age 17.
>
>Perhaps the actual name of G.M.C. Massey, the elder, is Gilford, I don't
>know. But since James is listed as the brother in-law of G.M.C., and the
>fact that G.M.C.'s wife was also born in Arkansas, perhaps James and E.L.
>were siblings. I have a marriage date for James Monroe Singleton and Ida
>Abiah Massey of 23 Dec 1880 in Franklin, Texas. Since the marriage date is
>after the census date, I suspect James and Ida met and married later that
>year. This is also why I think James and E.L. are siblings, which would make
>the listing for James as the brother in-law G.M.C. Massey.
>
>I do know James was a minister, church or denomination unknown, and he died
>at the age of 37 years from Tuberculosis in Texas, maybe Wood County since
>his last child was born there in January of 1899, he died 22 Oct 1899.
> There's no death record for him because Texas starts it's records the year
>after.
>
>Well, I spelled all this out for you simply to ask if you could help me
>locate these Massey and White individuals and their marriage(s) in Georgia, I
>would guess around 1850-1861, the later being the birth year of Ida their
>daughter. And for any listings for G.M.C. Massey.
>
>Thank you so very much for your time and effort,
>
>Lady Mary

Blendia Nawrocki
Email
home page URL http://www.nac.net/~users/nawrocki/

Researching in GA,NC,SC DAVIS * ROLIN(any spelling)* STRICKLAND* WINGATE*
HUDSON* BORDERS* RAWLINS* KITCHEN* In NJ, NAWROCKI* TOMCZK * WRIGHT* READ*
SHEPPARD* SMITH