GEORGIA-L Archives

Archiver > GEORGIA > 1998-11 > 0910982564

From: "Belinda & Dave Savadge" <>
Subject: [GA] Reaves/Hunter GA>AL
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:42:44 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for info. on John J. Reaves born abt. 1826 in Ga. He
married Rebecca Hunter (born 1827 in Ga) in 1844 in Carroll County, Ga.

John J. and his family are listed on the the 1850 Carroll County, Ga.
Census Dwelling 1375:

John Reeves 24 m GA
Rebecca Reeves 23 f GA
John M. Reeves 4 m GA
Joseph Reeves 1 m GA
William Hunter 21 m GA
Mary Hunter 22 f GA

Rebecca's brother William is also living in the household with his wife
Mary Morris Hunter. William and Mary were married in 1850 in Carroll County,
Ga. Rebecca and William's mother was Sarah "Sallie" ________ Hunter (maiden
name unknown). Sallie is living with them in 1880 and her age is listed as
93 years old. Have not found who their father is.

John and his family moved to Randolph County, Alabama something in the
late 1850's.

1860 Randolph Co. Census, in Rockdale, Dwelling 188.

John Reaves, 33, Farm laborer, b. GA
Rebecca, 32, Does house work, b. GA
J.M. Reaves, 13, male, b. GA
Joseph A. Reaves, 10, b. GA
W.T. Reaves, 7, male, b. GA
R.H. Reaves, 3, male, b. AL
Sarah A. Reaves, 4/12, b. AL

On the 1880 Randolph County, AL. Census John says his parents were born
in SC. Rebecca says her parents were both born in Ga. but Sallie says she
was born in SC and so was her parents. This is confusing!

John is buried in the Key Cemetery in Randolph County, AL. I don't have
death date. Rebecca died in 1897 and is buried in Union Church Cemetery,
Randolph County, Alabama.

Any info. on these families would be greatly appreciated!! I am at a
stand still on them. Will gladly trade info.

Best Regards,
Belinda Savadge
Jefferson, Georgia

This thread: