GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2000-12 > 0977051905

Subject: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Vohlynia
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 06:18:25 -0500

Thought you all would like this! My moms family comes from the Vohlynia
zone "Weich" Of course my Fathers Parents are from Lithuanian.
Ewald use to have a magazine subcription on "Traveling Vohlynian`s" I
have to write him and see if he still does this!! Tina

Seasons Greetings
for 2000
May 2001 bring happiness and tranquillity to you and your many friends
and family in the coming year.

The year 2000 for the Wuschke's

The year started with problems of no longer being able to keep up with
editing and publishing the 'Wandering Volhynians' plus the many and
varied community tasks which seemed to crop up and needed to be done.
These tasks created situations which became extremely stressful.

At the beginning of April Ewald was admitted to the UBC Hospital with
heart complications. On the 23 May he was readmitted and his condition
was pronounced critical. He was rushed through and on the 25 May, 2000,
he received a quadruple by-pass. After a lengthy recuperation period he
is presently building up his physical strength with the hopes of a
reasonable recovery. The Doctors have advised there will not be a full
recovery.

Maria has been working full time in the printing shop, helping Ewald
manage and Ewald Jr.'s wife, Grace is also helping out. We continue to
receive more work then we can manage. Ewald and Grace's children, Heather
and Sarah, are quickly growing up Arthur and Mary with their two girls,
Christine and Jennifer, live next door to us. Arthur keeps very busy
being part owner at ARPAC. Caroline and Peter (Chapman) still live in
Toronto with their two boys, Kent and Reid.

Garth, who is autistic, is now being well cared for in a beautiful home
in Aldergrove, BC. Ewald is on the Board of Directors of the Society
which is in charge of the residence. Kenneth has gone back to University.
Other than Ewald, Sr. there have been no illnesses or serious problems
this past year.

Ewald Sr. has begun to work on the family tree and the history of the
various families. He has made some startling finds this past year much of
which confirms notes which he made 50 years or more ago. The following
is a brief summary of some of the families where further research is
required. If you can add to the information It would be greatly
appreciated.

Greetings from Ewald, Sr., Maria, Ewald, Jr. and Grace, Arthur and Mary,
Caroline and Peter, Garth and Kenneth. and all the grandchildren.
GENEALOGY OR 'ROOTS' By Ewald Wuschke December, 2000.

WUSCHKE

The name Wuschke apparently was written W(a)schke, (also Weszke and
Weschke). We find that three brother's, Johann, Friedrich and Karl
W(a)schke show up in the Babiak and Sompolno Poland Church records ca.
1807-1815. All three brothers were born between 1770 and 1780. They were
all married to wives who were 12 to 20 years younger than they were. All
three seem to be reasonably well educated. Johann became a school
teacher and Friedrich and Karl owned woolen mills manufacturing woolen
clothing.

Looking at the time period it seems likely that the three were serving in
the Prussian military and possibly were part of the occupation forces
when the Sompolno, Babiak area was occupied by Prussia in 1792. Being in
the armed forces would not be conducive to marriage. When Napoleon
occupied Poland and created the new Duchy of Warsaw in 1806-7 the
Prussian occupation forces would have become redundant. Because all of
Germany was under Napoleon's influence the three W(a)schke brothers,
seeing business opportunities in Babiak and Sompolno, decided to stay in
Poland. They settled down and married wives who were 15 to 20 years
younger than they were.

The youngest, Karl born ca 1778-84, my forefather, was married to Mariane
Klause who was born ca 1792, daughter of Johann Heinrich Klause and
Katherine Stek. The Klauses had settled in the village of Zakrzewek, near
where Sompolno would later be established. Mariane died 11 Feb. 1855 and
Karl passed away 7 April, 1854 in Sompolno. (Mariane had a niece who
married an Effa whose descendants settled around Yorkton, Sask.)

According to family lore the W(a)schke family spoke a Wendisch Platt
which places their linguistic centre around Magdeburg, Germany.
The name W(a)schke was changed to Weschke around 1815 and to Wuschke
approx. in 1835 although different branches continued to use Weschke and
Waeschke.

RE(H)BEIN

August Wuschke, son of Karl Weschke and Mariane Klause, was married
around 1835 to Luise Rehbein. We believe she was born ca. 1813, daughter
of Lorenz Rehbein and Anna Luise K(u)hn, at Babiak, Poland. There were
several Rehbein families living in the Babiak area around 1800 - 1810.
After 1835 the Lorenz Rebein family literally disappears from the Babiak
Records and we can assume that they were part of the emigration to the
Opocznow region in Radom Province, Poland, ca 1825 - 1835.
The name Rehbein also appears in the Alexandrow, Poland records. They
were part of the cloth industry workers who settled there around 1825.
These Rehbeins came from Raumburg, Germany. Any Re(h)bein information
would be greatly appreciated.

ALTSTADT

The earliest information that we have on the Altstadt family is a Johann
Jakob Altstadt married to Elizabeth (Jaehn??). They were living in
Prussia where their son Johann Michael Altstadt was born ca. 1788. They
moved to Slawsk, Konin, Poland around 1790-95 where they first show up in
the Wladyslawow Lutheran Church Records in 1795-96. The Prussia of 1788
generally took in West and East Prussia. In 1792, Poznan and Western
Poland became part of Prussia so it is quite likely that they moved
after 1792. Later Johann Jakob and his wife Mariane Elizabeth settled in
the village of Maloszyn, Poland and their son, Michael, in the village of
Genowefa where, in 1813, he married the neighbours daughter, Johanna
Luise Schukraft.

On Johann Michael's marriage and death record it says he was born in
Prussia so we have to establish the Altstadt residence in Prussia. There
are two places named Altstadt just south of Marienburg. Family tradition
has it that the Altstadt family at one time was a "Von" Altstadt family.
There is an Altstadt Castle in Saxony near Halle and around 1100-1300 the
family called themselves 'Von Altstadt'

It is my opinion that one of the junior brothers of the family joined the
Teutonic Knights and in exchange for his service he received land grants
in the newly established Prussia. There has been no written evidence to
date that this was the case.

RICHERT and ITTERMANN

The Richert family name does crop up in various areas of Germany.
>From my Grandmother's brother I have an excerpt as to our branch of the
Richert family which I received over 50 years ago.The Richert family
emigrated around 1780-90 from Brandenburg, Germany and settled around
Rawa-Mazowieka, in Poland. His name is unknown but a son, my forefather,
was Samuel Richert who was born in Brandenburg and died near Mszczonow,
near Warsaw, Poland. Samuel's son, Johann was born in this area and was
married in the Mszczonow Catholic Church before 1840. His wife was a Mrs.
Kunisch (nee Ittermann).

>From studying the Zhitomir Records (St. Petersburg) I would say that the
Richert, Ittermann, and Kunisch families who were living in the Annette
and Heimthal, Volhynia, area were family. They probably emigrated from
Mszczonow to Volhynia around 1840 after Johann Richert had married the
widow, Mrs. Kunisch. It is possible that some of the Ittermann and
Richert names found in the Zhitomir death records from 1850-1870 could be
my ancestors.

HENSCHEL
Johann Richert's son Ferdinand Richert married Luise Henschel daughter of
Daniel Henschel and Dorothea Klemm. The Henschel family lived in the
Rawa-Mazowiecka district.

SINGBEIL - KISSER

The earliest date on the Singbeil family is Andreas Senkbeil, shepherd,
who was married the , 27 Oct., 1795, to Marianne Benke, age 16, daughter
of Christoph Benke of Kaczynker, Hauland. They lived at Maliniec, near
Babiak, where their son, Michael, was born.

There was another family living in Prystrone, Babiak whose name was
Schinkel. According to the Schinkel's at Beausejour, Man., they claimed
to be related but the names developed differently.
The Singbeil name (Sengbeil, Senkbeil, Senkpiel) shows up in the pre
1800 records of Rypin Lutheran church. It also shows up in the two
districts between Rypin and Marienburg in West Prussia.
It can then be assumed that Andreas Senkgfeil emigrated from the West
Prussian area to the Babiak, Poland district sometime between 1770 and
1795. This again indicates a movement during the Prussian occupation
1792-1806.

The Senkbeils were also found in the Oborki, Michalki parish in Poland
where father and son were school teachers for a number of decades.

Michael Singbeil married Anna Katherine Kisser, born ca 1795 in Lobonskie
Hau., daughter of Martin and Anna Maria Kisser, around 1820 and they
lived in the village of Hilarowe, Dombie. About 1850 they moved to the
Turek Parish where Mrs. Singbeil died in 1851.

GRAMS

The Grams family is another old German family living In west Prussia. One
can assume that the Grams also came from the Magdeburg area in Germany
where there is a small village called Gramsdorf. They probably also
joined the Teutonic Knights and were settled in Deutsch Krone around
1400. Around 1640 two Grams brothers founded the village called
Gramsdorf (today; Bukowiec) in the Poznan district. They remained owners
until about 1723 when, because the children were underage when their
father died, the village was sold.

The Grams family continued to live in Gramsdorf and around 1798 a Michael
Grams with his family, (his son Andreas was born in Gramsdorf in 1795)
moved to the Kolo district in Poland and settled in the village of
Szczapanow where they lived until 1859 before immigrating to Tuczyn,
Volhynia. Andreas Grams was married twice; first to Rosine Meier, then to
Appolonia Krentz. Andreas daughters born between 1820 and 1840 were
married to Paul Ludwig Mertyn, August Wilde, Martin Kwast, Gottlop
Sengbeil, Gustav Fritz (Friske and Friss), and Martin Abraham. If anyone
is researching these names I would appreciate any information about them.

ZADO -STUBEL

When my great-grandfather's, Gottlop Singbeil, became a widow in 1870 he
married a Mrs. Julianne Zado nee Stubel. My grandmother was only several
years old when she received her new step-mother and was raised by her.
Julianne had seven boys and one daughter. Two of the sons married my
grandmother's sisters. A third Zado son was married to a Grams who was
cousin to my grandmother.
I am very interested in the Zado and Stubel(t) families as they relate to
my family history.

HAMP - SCHULZ

The parents of my wife were Eduard Schulz and Wanda Hamp. The Schulz
family is still shrouded in the fog of yesteryear and has not been traced
back. The Schulz family lived in the parish of Brzeziny, Poland but the
family was not too extended. With the name Schulz being extremely common
it will be difficult to trace the family further back than approx. 1832.

The Hamp family has a longer record. They moved to Borowo (Wilhelmswald)
near Brzeziny in 1801. They had come from Eichenwalde in Germany to
Poland in 1776.. We have some evidence that they lived in the Konin area
from 1776 to 1801 before settling at Borowo. The name is sometimes
spelled, Hampf, and Hanf.

Other names in Maria's family are: Siewert, Jeske, Kelm, Mathes,
Krumr(u)ck, Dring, Modro, Drewitz and Seemann. These families were
located in the Lodz and Brzeziny parishes.

Anyone who can enlighten me on the above families whether they have older
information or more recent family details this help would be greatly
appreciated.

May you all have a wonderful holiday season

Ewald Wuschke
Editor, Wandering Volhynians
3492 West 39th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6N 3A2