GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-BOHEMIAN > 2006-05 > 1147996153

From: Steven and Susan Karides <>
Subject: Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Re: [GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Fw: Gärtner-Häusler-Hausbesitzer
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:49:13 -0500

Wow, thank you! I didn't have any info on the meaning of my surnames.
An interesting story on the Muehlhans name, however. Some years ago
(about 10) I wrote to every Muehlhans listed in the German White
Pages. Owing to the fact that many were related to eachother, I
received a response from virtually every family I wrote to!! All
stemmed from the Egerland. As I recall, all stemmed from Kreis
Falkenau. A couple of them told me that Muehlhans was an Egerlaender
name and, in their opinion, anyone with that surname has his roots in
the Egerland. It is an extremely rare name in the US (some changed it
to Milhans) and isn't even that common in Germany. They were all from
the Golddorf/Steinhof/Maria Kulm area.

As for my Karlsbader Theisingers, my grandmother was Marie Theisinger
( b. 1898/ to America (Milwaukee) in 1921/d.1943 before I was born).
She was born at Ebmeth No. 28, but the family relocated to Karlsbad.
My grandmother trained as a cook in Karlsbad. Her father was Andreas
Theisinger (b. 1870 @ Schoenbrunn No. 24; died @ Fischern, by
Karlsbad after WWI in 1918) and her mother was Emilie Knobl
Theisinger (b. 1870 @ Ebmeth No. 1/died 1943 @ Welchau). Emilie
Knobl's family had the Gastwirtschaft Knobl at Ebmeth No. 1. I have a
picture of it, but was at the exact site and now it's just an asphalt
parking lot to a Communist era tenement. My grandmotehr was the
only Theisinger of her fanily to emigrate; The rest remained and
suffered the expulsion. The all relocated to Bavaria (most stayed
there; some later moved to other parts of Germany).

My grandmother, Marie, had a sister Anna Theisinger Beitlich (b. 1906
@ Ebmeth/died 1988 @ Munich and her husband Emil who lived until
1996!) and brothers Anton Theisinger (b. 1903 @ Ebmeth/died single @
Nuenburg in 1980) and Josef Theisinger (b. 1895 at Frohnau/ married
to Julia/died @ Marburg, Hessen in 1970). Josef and Julia had a son,
Kurt Theisinger, born in the 1920s (my dad's first cousin). Kurt
lived in Marktredwitz (lovely town!) and was very active in the
Heimat Museum there until his death in 2000. I have heard the dialect
spoken and don 't understand a word of it!
Anyone sound familiar?

Oh, by the way. Since the 1990s, I believe, there is a restaurant in
Karlsbad called the Egerlaender Hof. It is run by the Kraus family.
We visited there as a large group (my dad and his cousins including
his mother's sisters children, as well as Kurt Theisinger) in 1997;
again in 1999 and just last August. They have large books that they
have former residents of the Egerland and their families sign,
including a short memory and where the family had lived. They only
brought them out when Kurt asked for them. There were several books
full of memories, names and places and they even let the "Egerlaender
aus Amerika" sign them!! Kurt spoke of the homeland often; the
others not so much, because, I believe for them the memories are
painful. So, I don't push it anymore and take whatever info they want
to give me; little bits here and there. I do love visiting them,
though. I am always astonished at how much we look like each other!
I had never met my grandmother, but they look like her and I look
like them. Genetics are amazing!

So, once again thank you for your detailed tips and knowledge. I
learn from every one of your postings!

Susan