GERMAN-JEWISH-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-JEWISH > 2002-08 > 1030721944

From: <>
Subject: [GERMAN-JEWISH] Possibly a Jewish background?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:39:04 -0000

I am searching this out as a possible connection. Not certain however of much of anything other than this guys name.

Ignatz Johann Von Neuhaus was born in early 1800s in Prussia (Westfalia?)

He came to the United States in the mid-1800s and taught German in New York City for a bit. Rumored to be skipping out on a military draft
in Prussia.

The reason I am wondering about a possible Jewish connection-- my great aunt has had people ask her if she is Jewish when they heard her
maiden name (Neuhaus).

Another possible clue is that Ignatius John Neuhaus (Americanized version of the above name) is rumored to have been born out of wedlock
but yet is educated enough to be a teacher.

It's pretty difficult to discern a family history, especially when the child is born out of wedlock. (Just wasn't discussed you know.) I am
looking for any information of families around then as well as patterns in naming children born out of wedlock, etc.

Any help is appreciated,

Joshua Meredith

This thread: