GERMAN-NOBILITY-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-NOBILITY > 2003-03 > 1047355072

From: Yvonne Demoskoff <>
Subject: Second Cousins of Kaiser Wilhelm II (was Re: [GERMAN-NOBILITY] ?royalty)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:58:45 -0800

Hello, Delores.

Before I begin, I'd like to be certain that we both understand the meaning
of the genealogical term "second cousin". Second cousins are defined as the
children of first cousins. In other words, second cousins share common
great-grandparents. (For more information about cousinships, see
"Relationship Terms" at http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/relation.htm) If
that's how you define "second cousins" (children of first cousins),
I'll move on to the second step.

To determine who were the second cousins of Wilhelm II, German Emperor
(also known as Kaiser Wilhelm II), I found his four sets of
great-grandparents (Prussia/Mecklenburg-Strelitz;
Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach/Russia; Saxe-Coburg and Gotha/Saxe-Gotha(*); and Great
Britain/Saxe-Coburg and Gotha). I then traced all their legitimate
descendants, that is, their children, grandchildren and
great-grandchildren. (I disregarded infants, young children, or those who
died before their age of majority.) Once I reached the great-grandchildren
generation (the one in which is found Wilhelm II), I stopped looking. At
this point, I had the list of Wilhelm II's second cousins.

(*) For the purposes of my reply, I've rendered Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld as
Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (which is what this Saxon duchy became known as from
1826).

This research took about four hours to complete, and yielded approximately
92 second cousins. Unfortunately for you, there isn't an Emelie Donat among
the list of names. As I mentioned earlier, I only checked for legitimately
born descendants. Some of Wilhelm II's ancestors and relatives had
illegitimate children, so perhaps one of these illegitimate children was
Emelie Donat. If Emelie is indeed an illegitimate child, or the descendant
of one, it will be very difficult - perhaps impossible - to find a
genealogical link between her and Wilhelm II. (Few royals acknowledged
illegitimate children in those days.)

If you're interested in the list of Wilhelm II's second cousins, let me
know. It's too long of a list to type out in this reply, so unless you
really want it, I'll just give you some of the names of Wilhelm II's more
prominent second cousins:

Alexander III, Emperor of Russia, and his sister Grand Duchess Marie
Alexandrovna of Russia. (She married Queen Victoria's younger son, Prince
Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, who later succeeded as Duke of Saxe-Coburg and
Gotha.)

Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna of Russia. (She married George I, King of
the Hellenes, brother of Queen Alexandra, wife of King Edward VII.)

Duke Heinrich of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. (He changed his name to Hendrik (the
Dutch form of Heinrich), and married Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands.)

Princess Louise of Sweden. (Louise married Frederik VIII, King of Denmark,
brother of Queen Alexandra, and King George I, see above.)

Bernhard III, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen. (He married Wilhelm II's sister
Princess Charlotte of Prussia.)

Friedrich Karl, Landgrave of Hesse. (He married Wilhelm II's youngest
sister Princess Margarethe of Prussia.)

Princess Auguste Viktoria of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg.
(She married Wilhelm II, German Emperor. Strictly speaking, though, Auguste
Viktoria was a half-second cousin of Wilhelm II through their common
ancestor, Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.)

I hope that this information is of some help to you.

Sincerely,

Yvonne