GERMAN-TEXAN-L Archives

Archiver > GERMAN-TEXAN > 2007-06 > 1183002640

Subject: Re: [GERMAN-TEXAN] Germans in Australia...
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:50:40 EDT

On an Elderhostel trip to Australia a few years ago, we were transported to
an old gold-mining site. We were told that all races came there--even those
who had been Forty-Niners in California.

Not only is Australia a fascinating continent, its history is also
fascinating. Our hostess was descended, she said, from a highwayman who had been
sentenced to Australia. His wife joined him, but she was a free woman [no felony
record]. She acquired property, etc.

I think one may find Germans most any place in this world. We stayed with a
couple in Mexico. some years ago as part of study Spanish course. The
husband was a 4th generation German [in possession of a printed genealogy]. His
ancestor had owned a coffee plantation. His wife, on the other hand, was the
daughter of a deceased German [dare I say Nazi?] officer. After she finished
her University education, she came to Mexico City to teach in the German
school in Mexico City. South America is full of Germans.

E.W.Wallace
descended from colonial Germans in America plus a more or less recent
immigrant to Bexar Co. (around the time of the Civil War)