GERMANNA_COLONIES-L Archives

Archiver > GERMANNA_COLONIES > 1997-04 > 0860025755

From: Cindy Crigler< >
Subject: Crigler Genealogy 2
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 18:02:35 -0600

Installment #2
Continuing the Crigler/Kriegler Genealogy;

(I am beginning at the top of the genealogy as what I sent in the first
installment was just an example.)

"1. Jacob (Kriegler) Crigler, emigrant from Dittsmansdorf, Silesia to
Germanna, Spotsylvania County VA in 1717. His wife Susanna, according to
various genealogists was either the sister or daughter of Michael (Koch)
Cook of the 1717 Germanna Colony."

************
According to a reply to a query I made on the Germanna Colony List, Sat, 29
Mar 1997:

Susanna CRIGLER was actually the dau of Hans Martin KLAAR and wife Maria
Barbara (maiden unk). She was b abt 1691/2 in Gemmingen, Wuerttemberg,
Germany. Her grandparents were Hans Michael KLAAR d 4 Feb 1712 Gemmingen at
the age of 82, his wife was named Ursula Sybilla (maiden unk) d 24 June 1720
at the age of 87.

Hans Martin KLAAR was b abt 1665 Gemmingen d 11 Oct 1722 in Gemmingen.

Susanna m Philip Joseph WEBER 26 Jan 1706 in Gemmingen. They had 3 children
who died in Germany: Hans Martin, Johann Georg, and Hans Georg. They
emigrated to America with their children Hans Dietrich and Sophia, another,
Waldburga, is thought to be born en route to America as there is no record of
her in Germany but she is listed in the immigration lists.

Susanna's brother Hans Michael KLAAR/CLORE and his wife Maria Barbara
accompanied them on their trip to America.

After Philip Joseph's death, Susanna married Jacob CRIGLER.

I got the KLAAR info from Elke Hall.

from Lauri Manda [descended from Waldburga WEBER and her husband John
WILLHEIT, their dau Susanna WILHOITE m Nicholas YAGER s/o Adam YAGER and
Susanna KOBLER and grandson of Nicholas YAGER the immigrant, the 3rd
husband of Susanna KLAAR WEBER CRIGLER.]
************

"Issue [of Jacob and Susanna Crigler]

2. Christopher, b. about 1721
3. Nicholas, b. about 1723
4. Anna Margaret
5. Micheal

Jacob died in the early part of 1734, for on April 3, 1734, Susanna Crigler
gave bond in Spotsylvania County, as administrator of his estate. George
Utz and Michael Clore signed her bond. Susanna Crigler later became the
second wife of Nicholas Yager of the 1717 Germanna Colony. (Reference - Mr.
W. C. Barrickman and Dr. Arthur Leslie Keith.)

Governor Spotswood's Suit
The following was copied from the originals [Spotsylvania Will Book A -
Orders 1722-1747] on file in the Virginia State Library, Richmond VA.

[illustrated by copies of the original script between the translations]

Page 51, September 4, 1723

In an action of a case brought by Colonel Alexander E. Spotswood plaintiff
against Jacob Crigler defendant, for thirty four pounds, eighteen
shillings. Special bail being required, was granted, the defendant pleaded
in Custody and craved relief which was granted.

Page 56, October 2, 1723

In the action of the case brought by Colonel Alexander E. Spotswood
plaintiff against Jacob Crigler, the defendant having put in a plea for
plaintiff's motion, time was granted him to consider same.

Page 62, March 3, 1724

In the action on a case brought by Colonel Alexander E. Spotswood plaintiff
against Jacob Crigler defendant, the said suit is dismissed by Consent of
the said parties. The defendant offering to pay cost of the suit.

Land grant
Land grant to Michael Cook and Jacob Kriegler June 24, 1726. Patents No.
12, 1724-1726, page 480, Virginia State Library, Richmond VA.

George R. Scott, whereas we have given, granted and confirmed and by these
presents for our Heirs and Successors do give, grant and confirm unto
Michael Cook and Jacob Kriegler of St. George Parish, in Spotsylvania
County, one certain tract or parcel of land containing four hundred acres
lying and being in the said County and within the first fork of the Rapidan
River and bounded as follows; (to wit) Beginning at the two white oaks and
thence one hundred and twelve poles to two pines thence south thirty rods
west and three hundred and twenty poles to a big Chestnut Oak upon a little
mountain, thence east three hundred poles to a red oak and thence to a pine
and then north twenty five degrees and seventy poles to the beginning
place. Whereof to have and hold, not yielding, paying or provided without
our Trusted and Well Beloved Hugh Drysdale, Esquire, Lieutenant Governor at
Williamsburg under the Seal of our Land Colony the Twenty Fourth day of
June 1726 in the Twelth Year of our Reign.

signed, Hugh R. Drysdale
***************
2. Christopher Crigler, b. about 1721, Germanna, Spotsylvania Co. VA and d.
September 9, 1808 in Criglersville, Madison Co. VA. He married Catherine
Finks in 1750. She was the daughter of Mark Finks.
Issue:
6. Maria, b. September 9, 1751
7. Reubin, b. January 28, 1753
8. Jacob, b. June 27, 1756
9. Elizabeth, b. July 7, 1759
10. Susanna, b. January 3, 1762
11. Lewis (Ludwig), b. October 1, 1764
12. John, b. June 10, 1767
13. Christopher, b. November 28, 1769
14. Anna, b. July 6, 1771
15. James, b. May 23, 1775
16. William, b. June, 1778

The names of the above children and their births are recorded in the Hebron
Lutheran Church at Madison VA.

The sponsors at the christening of the above children were as follows;
Andrew Carpenter, John Weaver, John Clore, Dorothy Clore, Catherine
Wayland, Barbara Weaver, Barbara Carpenter and Catherine Clore.

Christopher and his wife Catherine communed at Hebron Lutheran Church until
1787.

Christopher's will is recorded at Culpeper VA, May 30, 1809, in Will Book
F, page 119 and reads as follows;

'In the name of God, Amen, I Christopher Crigler of the County of Culpeper,
a citizen of the United States do make, ordain and declare this is my
instrument which is written and every page thereof subscribed with my name,
to be my last will and testament, revoking all others.

All debts of which there are few and none of magnitude are to be paid
promptly, and my will carried out. I bequeth to my daughter Elizabeth
Taylor one hundred acres of land, corner to John Finks. I have no money to
pay for her being security for her administration of estate of David
Yowell, deceased. If I have any money to pay on account it must come out of
this I leave her and her daughters.

To my son William Crigler the land I now live on, with all improvements,
and after my death, my will is that my whole personal estate be equally
divided among all children. I appoint William Crigler and Lewis Crigler
executors of my estate.

I set my hand and seal this September 9, 1808

(signed) Christopher Crigler

Witnessed:
Joseph Carpenter
Gabriel Murphy
Charles Murphy
Will probated May 23, 1810.

Christopher Crigler was commissioned an Ensign in the Culpeper Militia,
August 18, 1763. He is also listed as a Patriot by the Sons of the American
Revolution and the Daughters of the American Revolution.

At a court held for the County of Culpeper on Thursday the 18th Day of
August 1763.
Present
Thomas Slaughter
Robert Green
Ambrose Powell
Benjamin Roberts

James Spilman and Joshua Browning, Lieutenants, also James Nash,
Lieutenant, Gabriel Amiss and Christopher Crigler, Ensigns, severally
produced their commissions from his Honour the Governor and took the usual
Oaths to his Majestys Person and Government, repeated and subscribed the
Test Order to be Certified.

The Minutes of these Proceedings were signed thus:
Thos. Slaughter

VIRGINIA:
In Culpeper County, Virginia County Circuit Clerk's Office. I, C. T. Guinn
of the Circuit Court in and for the County of Culpeper aforesaid in the
State of Virginia, do hereby certify that the aforegoing is a true copy of
a portion of the Court Proceedings of the 18th day of August, 1763, which
record is shown in this office in Minute Book of Culpeper County, 1763-1764
on page 410.
Given under my hand and seal this 5th day of October, 1956.
Teste: (signed) C. T. Guinn, Clerk
***************

(#3) Nicholas Crigler's Will

"The will of Nicholas Crigler is recorded at Madison County, VA in Will
Book 3, page 1, and reads as follows:

In the name of God, Amen, I Nicholas Crigler of Madison County and the
State of Virginia do make and appoint this my last will and testament,
hereby revoking all former will or wills by me made and establishing this
my only one in manner and following:

Item 1, I give and bequeath unto my two grandchildren Elizabeth and Susanna
Crigler my tract of land whereon Benjamin Broyles now lives, to be equally
divided between them, which I give them and their heirs forever; but in
case either of them should die without heirs, then their part of said land,
shall be equally divided amongst all of my children. I also give to my two
said grandchildren their father's part or share of my property that has not
been sold or bonds taken in my name, due at my death, which bonds I give to
them and their heirs forever.

Item II, I give unto my son Aaron for the expense and trouble he is at me,
all the balance and residue of my estate, real and personal or mixed of
every kind and whenever found, which I give to him and his heirs forever.

Lastly, I constitute and appoint my son Aaron and my grandson Jacob
executors to this my last will given under my hand and seal this 28th day
of February 1811.

(signed) X, his mark
Nicholas Crigler "

Sorry this one is so long, as my e-mail has been down for a couple of days.
If anyone has any additional information or corrections to this, please let
me know. Until next time,
Cynthia Crigler

This thread: