GERMANNA_COLONIES-L Archives

Archiver > GERMANNA_COLONIES > 1999-03 > 0922587555

From: "John Wayland" <>
Subject: Crigler; Hume; Finks; Terrill
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:19:15 -0500

The below was recently posted on a MO newsgroup I follow (Of course, these older
DAR records may not be correct, so this needs to be verified):

-=-=-=-=-=-==-BEG OF NOTE
The National Society of the DAR(Volume 157 page 296)

Mrs. Annie (HUME) BROWN.(Wife of J. Clark BROWN)
DAR Number - 156943
Born in Glasgow, Missouri

Descendant of Sgt. George Hume

1. Ottie HUME (b. 1854) married 1878 Louella SNODDY (b. 1859)
2. Reuben HUME (1826-1919) married 1846 Frances Ann PEYTON (1830-1911)
3. Joel HUME (1796-1864) married 1822 Polly Ann PEYTON (1806-85)
4. Reuben HUME (1772-1821) married 1796 Ann FINKS
5. George HUME (1729-1802) married 1754 Jane STANTON.

War Service of George HUME (1729-1802)

1777-78, as a private and sergeant in Capt. William Payne's company, Col.
George Gibson's 1st Virginia regiment.
He was born and died in Culpeper County, Va.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- END OF NOTE

This George Hume was reportedly the son of George Hume, b. 30 May 1697 Scotland,
d. 1760 Culpeper Co., VA, and Elizabeth Proctor, whom he m. 16 Dec 1727. I have
6 children for them. Elizabeth Proctor was reportedly the dtr of George
Proctor, who gave land to Elizabeth and George.

I have 8 children for George Hume and Jane Stanton. These three are of
interest:

Reuben Hume (as stated above), m. Anna Finks.

George Hume III, b. 21 May 1759, d. 1817, in 1782 m. Susannah Crigler.

John Hume, b. 12 Aug 1769 Culpeper Co., d. 18 Sep 1842 St. Louis Co., MO, m. on
5 Jan 1792 Anna Crigler, b. 6 Jul 1771 Culpeper Co., d. 25 Jan 1841 St. Louis
Co. I have 8 children for them. The oldest, George Hume, b. 2 Nov 1792, d. 17
Jul 1870, on 10 Sep 1816 in Madison Co., KY m. Lucina "Lucy" Terrill, who was b.
1794, d. 8 Feb 1863. I have 8 children for them, with spouses. I also have the
Terrill and other lines back several generations from Lucy.

Question: Can someone provide the Germanna lineage back on the two Criglers
above and on the Finks, with dates?

Our good John Blankenbaker provided us a very interesting note on this George
Hume awhile back. I don't think that John would mind the repetition to this
group, where he posted it earlier, so I've put it below.

John Wayland

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=BEG OF NOTE
There was an interesting personality among our Germanna people. To properly
understand him requires a base of historical information. I won't say that I
can do that but I can give you some of the highlights. The man is George
Hume (sometimes spelled Home but always pronounced Hume) who in 1715, along
with his father Sir George, and his brother Francis, rebelled in Scotland
against the English by forcibly espousing the cause of James Stuart
(sometimes called the Jacobite rebellion). After capture by English, the
initial sentence of death for the two sons was changed to "transportation to
Virginia," a euphemism for sending convict labor to the colonies.

George and Francis Hume were second cousins to Alexander Spotswood in
Virginia. Both ended up there and must have been at least a mild
embarrassment to Spotswood, a servant of the Crown. However, Spotswood did
what he could for the two and he installed Francis as the supervisor of the
Germans at Germanna. (As a consequence, this is another individual at Fort
Germanna who probably required a home.) Francis did not live long though and
died in 1718. He was buried along the shores of the Rapidan River at Germanna.

George Hume arrived later in Virginia in 1721 (at the age of 23) after his
freedom had purchased by Capt. Dandridge, an ancestor of Martha Washington.
Hume was discouraged at first, writing home, "I find there is nothing to get
here without recommendation. Tho mine was good yet it did me no manner of
service for just as I came into ye country ye Gov. lost his place . . ." He
went to the College of William and Mary and was accredited by it as a
surveyor. This came naturally to him as he been trained in mathematics in
Scotland.

Very quickly he became an important surveyor in the colony. His work ranged
far and he had important commissions and posts such as laying out the town
of Fredericksburg, being the surveyor for Spotsylvania, Orange and Frederick
Counties, determing the bounds of the Fairfax patent, and being appointed a
Crown surveyor in 1751. For a while he had an assistant by the name of
George Washington but the claim that Washington was a student of Hume is not
well founded. Simultaneously with his surveying work, Hume was busy
acquiring property. To the end of his life in 1760, he worked as a surveyor
at a time when being a surveyor meant being on a permanent "camping trip."

For many years he had wanted to give up "taking long tedious journeys where
we are obliged to go perhaps several months without seeing a house, and
living altogether on wilde meat . ." But he persisted in the trade, doing
excellent work. His course of North 72 degrees West, the line between
Frederick and Augusta Counties, is without error and still used today.

On 16 December 1727 he married Elizabeth Proctor. He was appointed a
Lieutenant in the Colonial Militia in 1729. Later he was appointed a Justice
of the Peace. So he went full circle from being a rebellious citizen against
the crown to being a supporter of the crown. He lived in several locations
but the last one was near Oak Park in present day Madison Co., VA.

This thread: