GERMANNA_COLONIES-L Archives

Archiver > GERMANNA_COLONIES > 2006-09 > 1158767067

From: "Pete Holt" <>
Subject: Re: [GERMANNA] Before Germanna series--families involved
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:44:27 -0400

Thanks Thom for the information on the Before Germanna volumes. Some
follow-up questions...

Tracing my ancestry back to the first Holt/Hold in the Germanna colony, his
father and grandfather (Hans Michael Holt/Hold, Martin Hold, and Jonas Hold)
was fairly easy, given the information on the internet these days and the
availability of DNA testing at a reasonable cost. However, my getting
information beyond Jonas Hold (1601-1664) has proved unsuccessful so far.

Are there German genealogy groups that one can contact that have information
on family histories relevant to the Germanna colonists? Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to trace the ancestry of the Germanna colony families
back in Germany? Has anyone been successful in doing this?

I haven't seen the relevant Before Germanna volume yet. Are these
publications a good start in this effort?