GERMANS-NE-IA-L Archives

Archiver > GERMANS-NE-IA > 2006-04 > 1143918093

From: "Kathie Harrison" <>
Subject: German Recipes of Iowa/Nebraska connection from the late Fred 'Fritz' Dethlefsen
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 13:02:18 -0600

This is a file left for the Wayne Co., NEGenWeb Project but that has
Iowa & Nebraska connections and is a compilation of German recipes
from the old country. Courtesy of the late Fred 'Fritz' Dethlefsen.

The rest can be seen here at:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~newayne/misc/german-recipes.txt

ENJOY!

There are many people living here that are decendants of
folks from Northern Germany. When they came from Germany
they brought these recipes with them and their decendants kept
and still use many of them. From a cook book compiled of recipes
donated by many from the Manning, Iowa area and permission to
use on the internet was given by: Ron Colling, Manning Heritage
Foundation, Manning, Iowa and Leroy Damman, Manning Promotions

Traditional German Cookery
Collected hy Florence Genzen
With assistance from:
Dorothea Musfeldt
Sharon MacDonald- Williams
Cover design hy Thomas MacDonald- Williams
A project of Weihnachtsfest - 1989
Manning, Iowa USA

"DIE ALTASTEN BAUME TRAGEN OFT DIE SUSSESTEN FRUCHTE"
The oldest trees often bear the sweetest fruit!

Many persons living in the Manning, Iowa, area are
direct descendants of German Immigrants. Some residents
are only first and second generation descendants, but
many of us are third and fourth generation - removed
even further from our roots.

A strong love of tradition and an interest in our past
has prompted our community to start a new tradition. In
1987, Manning initiated a German Christmas festival,
Called Weihnachtsfest-it is held on three weekends,
starting with the opening ceremonies on the Friday evening
following Thanksgiving and continuing on Saturday and
Sunday for three weeks. Through this festival, we hope to
revive and preserve the German customs of the holiday season.

Of course, no Christmas celebration would be complete without
food. At Weihnachtsfest, as well as during the rest of the
year, many families preserve their German roots by preparing
some of the old favorites featured within this book. The aroma
of fritters and of wurst and kraut may be noticed in the
atmosphere at various times during the year.

It is with a deep love of our heritage that we dedicate this
collection of recipes to all the wonderful cooks who are
continuing the tradition of German cooking to this day. We
hope that this cookbook will serve to preserve their recipes
and to kindle an interest in German traditional cooking among
the younger families of the area.

In looking through stacks of old recipes, we couldn't help
but notice how many of our recipes today are derivatives of
traditional recipes, In one form or another. It is also
evident how our ancestors had to make do with what they
raised or produced, using everything but the "squeak."

As you peruse the book, you will notice that Germans like
sours such as sour doughs, sauerbraten and sauerkraut.
They even like sour dressings for salads.

Their desserts typically contain less sugar than American
desserts contain. Whipped cream is often whipped without
sugar.

A traditional German meal is often much higher in fat and
starch than our lighter me@ls preferred today. Hardly a meal
is served without noodles or dumplings. Salads were not
traditionally served, but a meal always contained'a potato
and usually a cooked vegetable. Cookies are baked mostly at
Christmas time. Tortes layered with whipped cream are
delicious and can be found in bake shop windows the year
round.

We wish you "Guten Appetit" as you use the German recipes
within these pages. We hope you will find them all to be;
SCHMECKT GUT

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Suppen, Klos, Knodel 1 - 21 Soup and Dumplings
Fleisch 22 - 43 Meat
Gemuese 44 - 51 Vegetables
Salate 52 - 59 Salads
Geback 60 - 69 Breads
Susspelsen 70 - 82 Desserts
Groten Hans 83 - 88 Steamed Puddings
Fortchen 89 - 92 Fritters
Kuchen 93 - 108 Cakes
Kleingeback 109 - 122 Cookies
Pfannkuchen und 123 - 129 Pancakes and Breakfast Items
Fruhstuck
Spezialitaten 130 - 141 Regional Specialties
(Head cheese, grit,
sausages, wursts.)
Miscellaneous und 142 - 146 Miscellaneous and Sauces
Sossen

SCHMECKT GUT

HEISSE BIERSUPPE German Beer Soup) Elsie Wilhelm

3 cups milk 1/2 cup sugar
3 beaten eggs 2 cans heated beer

Drink or serve with crumbled crackers.
May add, if desired,
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt and some pepper
1/3 cup sour cream (beat in last and do not allow to come
to a boll.)

BOUQUET GARNI
2 Tbsp. dried parsley 2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. thyme 2 Tbsp. dried celery leaves
1 Tbsp. marjoram

Wrap in 4" square of cheese cloth and tie in a bag.
Makes 12 bags to use in soups.
1
KARTOFFELSUPPE (Potato Soup) Eldora Hofvander
Janet Gruhn from
Wilheimina Gruhn

6 med. potatoes, peeled and cubed 2 tsp. salt
1 cup diced celery 1/4 tsp. pepper
1 med. onion, chopped 2 1/2 cups water

Boil until potatoes are soft. Stir well to break up the cubes.
Brown slightly 6-8 slices of bacon, cubed, and add to the above.

3 cups milk 1 beaten egg
2 Tbsp. flour
Combine milk, flour and egg, add to the soup and heat through.
Add dumplings and simmer covered until dumplings rise and
are done.

This thread: