GERMANS-VA-L Archives

Archiver > GERMANS-VA > 2012-05 > 1336057951

Subject: Re: [GERMANS-VA] John Koontz of Rockingham Co.
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 11:12:31 -0400 (EDT)

There is a Col. John Koontz that lived in Harrisonburg, Rockingham Co., VA, but he served in the 31st Regiment of the Virginia Militia in the War of 1812. This is from information given by his great grandson, Gen. C. C. C. Carr. This is from Germanna Record No. 5, Ancestry and Descendants of the Nassau Siegen Immigrants to Virginia 1714-1750, pg. 129.

There was a letter from Gen. Carr to Dr. John Wayland on 28 Oct 1911 stating the above and also that his grandfather, Lt. Jacob Koontz, died while in service during the War of 1812 in the 20th Infantry of the Army. Dr. Wayland included this letter from Gen. Carr in his book, Virginia Valley Records: Genealogical and Historical Materials of Rockingham County, Virginia, and Related Regions. The book was co-authored by David A. Leatwole. There is also a deed in Rockingham Co. naming the Col. John Koontz, Deed Book 8, pg. 209.

I'm not sure if this is the same John Koontz that you are referring to, different pay grade and different unit!!! Do you have this John Koontz in the book?

The lecture by Col. Lyman should be very interesting and a great addition to an already awesome lineup!!! One of the lectures is an updated version of "The Women of Germanna," by Dr. Katharine Brown, it should be excellent!

Barb Price