GIBSON-L Archives

Archiver > GIBSON > 2009-07 > 1246936752

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [GIBSON] Indian Gibson family from Charles City Couty
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 03:19:12 -0000

Author: photo66666
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.gibson/5523.2.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I am doing research on Col John Gibson, Chief Logan and the Myers and Greathouse families of Pittsburgh and Auburn NY. It is my understanding that Col John Gibson's wife who was the sister to Chief Logan was killed by the Greathouse family. Althought many later reports say a child of Col John Gibson was left untouched. I also understand Major Michael Myers had lead the Greathouse's to Chief Logan's family. I was wondering if you had any information on these families.

This is the info I have:

Excerpts from Shawnee Heritage by Don Greene and Noel Schutz

Gibson, John 1(aka Horsehead), - adopted white,( Kishpoko-Seneca) born 1740 PA died 1822 - Adopted 1763 - returned to whites 1754; son of George Gibson (04) and Elizabeth De Vinez, adopted son of Widow Shawnee ; scout/spy/translator US Army Revolution/trader , indian agent .general of Pennsylvania Militia, delegate to Philadelphia Constitutional Convention; Commander Fort Pitt (81-82) Acting Governor Indiana Territory, (1800-13) namesake of Gibson County IN; Allegheny Co, PA; Judge, husband 1st by 1770 OH of Kooney Shikllimus; /50 sister of Chief Logan; 2nd 1775 PA of Mary Brent; 60)1/2 of Pekowi-Metis - 3rd about, 1780 PA of Ann Mingo 65 Kispoko; father with Shikllimus of Ann Grayson Gibson 73 and Joseph Gibson 74 ; Seneca-Metis; with Brent of John Gibson 2/76 James Gibson 78 and Hugh Gibson 1880 -all 1/4th Pekowi-Metis. With Ann of Thomas Gibson 80, Mary Gibson 82 -Eleazer Gibson 84. Esther Gibson 86 and Elsie Gibson 88 - KishPoko-Metis.

>From another search: Tecumseh, Vision of Glory by Glenn Tucker.. page 160..... ...John Gibson Secretary of the Indiana Territory a man in his late 60's who had long lived in conjugal relations with the sister of the famous Mingo Chief Logan and was experienced in Indian matters as anyone on the frontier; sat at Colonel Harrison's side in a meeting with Tecumseh. The Indians who first saw his long face called him "Horsehead" a name that the whites took up.

Important Note: