GILDERSLEEVE-L Archives

Archiver > GILDERSLEEVE > 1999-11 > 0943796114

From: <>
Subject: Re: GILDERSLEEVE-D Digest V99 #13
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 08:35:14 -0500

What I have on Elizabeth Gildersleeve, dau of Richard (1601-1680/1), all is off the internet, so far. I hope
to confirm and expand detail in serious research at New York City area libraries, this weekend. I'm looking
to take her lineage as far back as possible on all lines.

Elizabeth appears to have been born abt 1625 in Suffolk, England, and died before 1664, probably on Long
Island. She married abt 1648 to William Lawrence (christened 27 Jul 1622 at St. Albans, Hertfordshire,
England, died 1680 at what would become Elizabeth, NJ). William was the son of Thomas Lawrence and Joan
Antrobus.

William Lawrence and Elizabeth Gildersleeve had children 1) Elizabeth (b. 1650 Flushing, New Netherland, d.
1686), 2) William J., Maj. (b abt 1652 Flushing, d. 1704) [my line] married Deborah Smith dau. of Smithtown
Patentee Richard Smith and sister to Elizabeth Smith who was William Lawrence, Sr.'s second wife, and 3) John
Lawrence (b. abt 1654 Flushing, d. 1714).

After Elizabeth Gildersleeve's death, William Lawrence married 2nd Elizabeth Smith in March 1664, dau of
Richard Smith above. Elizabeth Smith later married Philip Carteret, Governor of New Jersey. Elizabeth, New
Jersey was named for her.

>From the internet postings, it appears that Richard Gildersleeve (1601-1680/1) was the son of a Thomas, son
of Thomas, and that his wife Joanna Appleton was daughter of Thomas Appleton and Mary Isaac. The posted
lines would not stretch biological as limitations much if Richard and Joanna were born abt 1590 instead of
1601. Are the birthrates solid or guesstimations? If Joanna is descended as indicated, she is closely
related to Edward IV's Queen through the Wydevilles and otherwise is descended from characters such as Henry
I. If the line holds, I've got tremendous medieval lineages, if anyone is interested. I also thank any one
in advance for help in clarifying these lines, and thank those in the process of sending material on the
family. I'll post confirmations or lack of same after this week's research.

Regards,

John Williams

wrote:

> Hi, Richard Gildersleeve I was born 1601 in County Suffolk, England and died
> in 1661
> in Hempstead, Long Island, New York. Thanks, until now I did not know his
> wifes name. He had 4 children Richard II, Elizabeth (married Capt. William
> Lawarence)
> of whom I have no history, Anna who married John Smith Nan, and Samuel. My
> family cousins came down the line from Richard II. I have 4 cousins Larry,
> Don. Charles and Raymond. 3 boys live in Illinois and Chuck lives in
> Wisconsin. I am doing the family tree for them and happy to share what I
> have with you. Would like to see what you have too. John N Strain, 2900
> Tierra Rojo, Perris, Ca.92570
> E-Mail

This thread: