GILLIHAN-L Archives

Archiver > GILLIHAN > 1996-09 > 0843884050

From: Sam Redding <>
Subject: Re: A newbie GILLILAND/GILLELAND...
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 23:14:10 -0500

--=====================_843902050==_

At 08:24 AM 9/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello GILLIHAN's (and related spellings),
> I am new to researching my roots - 3 months - and have been able to trace
>back to my GreatGreatGrandfather :
>Thomas GILLILAND (b.JAN28,1830 in Hamilton,OH ; d.AUG6,1867 Danville, IN).
>Thomas married on JULY 3,1855 in Danville,Indiana to an Elizabeth Ann JONES
>(b. JAN 23,1831 Hamilton,Ohio ; d. MAR 14,1903 Kearney,NE).
>Thomas GILLILAND and Elizabeth had 4 children.
> On Thomas GILLILAND's military record his lastname is spelled 'GILLAND'
> and on his marriage certificate his lastname is spelled 'GILLELAND'. I have
>not been able to find his birth record as of this moment, so I do not know
>how his lastname was spelled on that record.
> I would appreciate if anyone else who is tracing this line to please
>e-mail my at ---->
>
>We can exchange information, I have much more details and lines.
>Thanks, Debby (-;

Debby:

I have both Gillihans and Gillilands in my family tree, so I have attached a
file of my notes on the Gillilands. There were several Thomas Gillilands
(and Gillihans), so it is often tough to sort them out. But maybe the
attached file will be of some help to you.

Sam

--=====================_843902050==_

Notes on the Gilliland Family

See book, The Loving Irish: The Gillilands by Marture Hutcheson Greenwood,=
Holy=20
Oaks Farm, Bluff Dale, TX, 1970. Published by The Gilliland Family of Texas=
=20
Association. Printed by the Stephenville Printing Co., Stephenville, TX=
76401.

See materials compiled by H. N. (Nick) Weedman, 1988.

The following is from Weedman=92s paper, which he got from the Greenwood=
book:

One John Gilliland, his wife and family are said to have come to=20
Philadelphia, PA in the 1730s. One daughter, Catherine, jumped ashore=20
as the ship left Ireland, to marry her Catholic sweetheart. It is reported=
=20
that three of the older brothers came first and the rest followed. They=20
were: Thomas, Hugh, Adam, Andrew, Robert, John, James, Jane, Mary,=20
and Sarah. Descendants of this John say that all Gillilands in this country=
=20
are in some way descended from John Gilliland who came to PA in the=20
1730s. Almost every Gilliland family has a tradition regarding the=20
beginnings of the family back through Northern Ireland. Descendants of=20
one John, who was born in Antrim County, Ireland, 1706, d. Chester Co.,=20
PA 1780, and his wife Hester Romar, state that they were descended from=20
three Gilliland brothers who came from Ireland in 1740 and that they=20
were descendants of a =93Willy=94 Gilliland. Possibly this John (1706-1780)=
=20
was a son of the John who came to Philadelphia in the 1730s. Record was=20
also found of a James Gilliland, who was also a possible son of the early=20
John. This James came in the 1730s to Flaggs Manor, Chester Co., PA and=20
married ca 1735, a girl named Margaret. Early land records in PA give=20
the following data on this Gilliland family: (1) Hugh, a warrantee for 400=
=20
acres of land March 1, 1734, Lancaster County; (2) John had a grant of 250=
=20
acres, February 15, 1737, Dauphin County, Hanover Township; (3) Robert,=20
a warrantee for 50 acres in Dauphin County, in 1751.

In another document (I can=92t find the source), an =93Historical and=
Biographical Sketch of=20
the Galligan, Gallin, Gillilian, Gillan, Gillen, Gilligan, Gilliland,=
Gillin, Gilland Family=94=20
says the following:

The distinguished name and its many variants, according to one=20
authority, is said to come from the Gaelic =93Giolla=94 meaning a servant or=
=20
youth, and that the name is found in Westmeath, Thomond, Galway,=20
Roscommon, and Sligo.

The same source lists the following Gillilands:

1. James E. and Susannah Gilliland. He was born in Lancaster, PA in 1750=
and=20
moved to Rockingham County, VA. Their children were Jessie, Benjamin,=20
William (born 1771), Samuel (1775), Henry (1777), Nancy, Susannah, James=20
Jr. (1783), Sheppard (1786, Sarah (1790), Elizabeth and Tolly. James died=
in=20
1810 and Susannah in 1842 in Tennesee.

2. Alexander Gilliland had children: John, Robert, William, Thomas. They=
=20
were from Tyron County, NC.=20

3. John Gilliland lived at Pigeon Creek and was a friend of John Sevier. =
His=20
grandson, Silas Jasper Gilliland moved to Missouri.
4. Abel Gilliland of East Tennessee was the brother of James who was a=
leader=20
in Zion Church. In 1821 Abel moved to Alabama and located on Wolf Creek,=20
St. Clair County. He had sons Patric and Wesley.
5. A James Gilliland recorded his will in 1800 in Davidson County,=
Tennessee,=20
mentioning his wife Nancy and children Robert, Daniel, James, and Sarah.
6. A William Gilliland was a merchant in New York City before founding=20
several settlements on the western banks of Lake Champlain, NY. He kept a=
=20
diary=97=93The Journal of William Gilliland 1765-1793.=94 His wife was=20
Elizabeth. He later served in the American Army in the Revolution and was=
=20
distinguished for his service at Yorktown. Among his children were William=
=20
(who had sons named William and Henry), Elizabeth (Mrs. Daniel Ross),=20
Charlotte (Mrs. Stephen Cuyler), Jane (Mrs. John Bleecker).
7. James Gilliland, brother of William, is buried in St. Paul=92s=
Churchyard, New=20
York City, dying in 1777. He was born in Caddy, County Armagh, Ireland. =20
He was a teacher.
8. James Gilliland of Londonderry, Ireland, came to America in 1730 and=
settled=20
in Flaggs Manor, Chester County, PA. His son James served in the=20
Revolutionary War and married Hannah Adams in 1739; they had a son,=20
Joseph.
9. In what is now West Virginia (then Virginia), a James Gillilan received=
a=20
grant of 205 acres in Greenbrier County. In 1799, William Gillilan received=
a=20
patent for 405 acres also in Greenbrier County.
10. The baptismal records of the First Presbyterian Church of New York City=
=20
shows the baptisms of Elizabeth Ann Gilliland, daugher of Thomas Carroll=20
Gilliland, October 7, 1766, and also the baptism of John Gilliland, son of=
John=20
Gilliland, September 26, 1784.
11. Marriage records of Trinity Church, NYC, show the marriage of John=20
Gilliland to Susanna Harrison, January 3, 1792.
12. Robert Gilliland, farmer and lumber business owner in St. Joseph, IN=
was=20
born in Ontario County, NY in 1822, the son of Thomas and Jane (Carson). =20
He moved to Hudson, Michigan in 1863 and later to Indiana. Married=20
Caroline Torrance; their children were Ezra (co-worker of Edison), James,=20
William, Maria, Agnes, Emma, and Donna.
13. Professor Clarence Vosburgh Gilliland, University of Southern=
California,=20
was born in Linesville, PA in 1866.
14. Homer Gilliland was born in 1870 in Van Wert, Ohio. President of bank=
=20
there.
15. Adam Raymond Gilliland, professor of psychology and author, Evanston,=
IL,=20
was born in Morgan County, Ohio in 1887, son of J.L and Gertrude (Wilson).

16. James Finney J. Gilliland, Hutchinson, KS, was principal at the high=
school=20
there. Born in Beloit, KS in 1881.
17. Frank Marshall Gilliland, a Memphis lawyer, was born in 1889 in Shelby=
=20
County, TN, son of Fletcher and Carolyn (Farabee). Married Elizabeth=20
Jordan in 1924, children were Robert, Frank, James.

A family tree of a Jesse Morgan Gilliland (1830-1917) shows Jesse married=
Elizabeth=20
Morris. He was born in Belmont County, OH, lived in Ogle County, IL, then=
Missouri,=20
then Auburn, Nebraska. His son William was a farmer and land agent in=
Jackson=20
County, KS. His wife was Lou Emma Cummings; their children were Roy,=
Charles,=20
Della, and Bertha. Jesse Morgan Gilliland was the son of Jesse Gilliland,=
born in Ohio=20
County, West Virginia in 1792, married to Margaret Douglas. Jesse was the=
son of=20
Hugh and Elizabeth Morgan Gilliland who began in Williamsport, MD, then=
settled on=20
Buffalo Creek, VA in 1779. Died in Belmont County, OH in 1816. Elizabeth=
Morgan=92s=20
grandfather=92s sister was Daniel Boone=92s mother. Hugh was the son of=
William Gilliland=20
of Williamsport, MD, the son of Hugh Gilliland, who settled in America in=
1734 in=20
Sadsbury Township, Lancaster, PA by 1742 on Potomac River near mouth of=
Little=20
Conococheague Creek, just west of Williamsport, MD. Hugh died in 1757.

My own Gilliland connection is through my great-great grandmother, Mary Ann=
=20
Gilliland Redding, wife of John B. Redding. John B. was born, the son of=
Francis and=20
Nancy Redding, in Morgan, County, IL. His parents were from North Carolina,=
but=20
were married in Lexington, MO in 1818. They entered Iowa Territory in the=
mid-1830s=20
(following Black Hawk War). Mary Ann Gilliland was born in Madison County,=
=20
Illinois in 1830. Her parents were Thomas and Polly (Jouett) Gilliland. =
Thomas was=20
born about 1798, probably in Shelby County, KY where he married Polly in=
1818. Polly=20
was the daughter of John Jouett and was born in Pennsylvania. Thomas and=
Polly were=20
parents of Mary Ann, Rebecca (born in Indiana), Sarah (born in Ohio), Nancy=
(Indiana),=20
and John (Ohio). Thomas Gilliland was the son of Robert and Nancy (Roberts)=
=20
Gilliland of Shelby County, KY. Nancy was the daughter of Abner Roberts, a=
=20
Revolutionary War veteran. The children of Robert and Nancy were Thomas=
(1798),=20
Margaret (1799), Mary (1800), Abner (1801), Rachel (1803), William (1805),=
Sarah (1808),=20
John (1810), Robert (1812), Naoma (1815), and Elizabeth (1917). The senior=
Robert=20
Gilliland, who resided on Plum Creek in 1812 but is in the area from at=
least 1806, was=20
the son of Thomas Gilliland, who is in the 1810 census in Shelby County, KY=
and died=20
in 1816. The second Thomas Gilliland (the one who married Polly Jouett and=
ended up=20
in Iowa) left for the gold fields of California in 1850 and never returned. =
His widow=20
petitioned for bounty land as a widow of a veteran of the Black Hawk War. =
Thomas=20
was a private in the Illinois militia.

This thread: