GILMORE-L Archives

Archiver > GILMORE > 1998-06 > 0899045639

From: Ted Stout <>
Subject: Re: Gilmore
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 07:53:59

Marilyn

I have always suspected that your David Gilmore was a first cousin of my
great grandfather William Grant Gilmore. Grant's father James L. Gilmore
also named a son David. Here are my notes on my John Gilmore family. I
believe that John was a son of Richard Gilmore, son of Patrick Gilmore of
Warren Co. KY. James L. Gilmore's military records gave his birthplace as
Warren Co. KY (Some records spell the name Gillmore):

FAMILY GROUP NO. 48
Husband's Full Name: John H. GILMORE
Birth: ca1800[Mecklenburg]North Carolina
Marr.: 12Dec1822WarrenKentucky
Death: before1860Porter TwpGreene/Christian Missouri
Places of residence: NC, Warren Co, KY, Greene Co, MO
Occupations: Miller
Other wives: (2) Nancy ?
Father: [Richard?] GILMOREMother: [Elizabeth WILSON?]

Wife's Full Name: Catherine (Katy) DARNALL
Birth: ca1802Kentucky
Death: before1860Porter TwpGreeneMissouri
Father: Benjamin DARNALLMother: Mary (Polly) HENSON

Children:

*1.James Lowell GILMORE
born ca1830WarrenKentucky
mar. 2Sep1852GreeneMissouri
to:Mary RICHARDSON
mar. 25Jan1861Noland POChristianMissouri
to:Sarah M. LAMB
died 7Apr1899SpartaChristianMissouri
buried at the IOOF cemetery at Sparta, MO
2.William Thomas Davidson GILMORE
born ca1832WarrenKentucky
mar. 13Mar.1853GreeneMissouri
to:Frances EDGAR
mar. 12Jul1855StoneMissouri
to:Phebe MESSINGER
3.Martha G. GILMORE
born ca1836WarrenKentucky
4.Eliza GILMORE
born ca1838WarrenKentucky
5.Margaret H. GILMORE
born ca1840WarrenKentucky
6.Catherine P. GILMORE
born ca1842[Greene]Missouri
7.John W. GILMORE
born1844[Greene]Missouri
mar. 10Dec1865ChristianMissouri
to:Louisa LAMB (Sarah's sister)
died1919TaneyMissouri
buried in Kissee Mills Cemetery in Taney County, Missouri

The 1850 census records for this family show the states of birth as above.
James' county of birth is given in his civil war records in the Missouri
Adjutant General's Office as Warren County Kentucky. Land grants for the
family show Richard with 147 acres on Big Barren River in Warren County 26
October 1818; and Patrick with a 50 acres on the Barren River 24 April
1823; Nicholas Darnal with 150 acres on the main fork of Drakes Creek in
Warren County on 26 July 1799; and William Darnell with a grant on Barren
River on 5 March 1810.

James Lewis Gilmore, son of Andrew H., son of Patrick, "...bought land from
his first cousin John H. Gilmore, wife Catherine," in 1841 Warren Co., Ky.
(book 18, p. 287, Warren Co., Court records.) This corresponds to the time
of John and Catherine's removal from Kentucky to Missouri. This seems to
confirm that our John is a grandson of Patrick Gilmore.

When John and Katy took out their marriage license on Dec. 9 in Warren
County, Joseph Gilmore signed as security for John. Later, when Andrew
Gilmore son of Richard Gilmore took out a license to marry Sally Gilmore,
daughter of Elizabeth Gilmore, Sally's consent was given by her mother who
couldn't appear, but sent John Gilmore as a witness to her letter.
Likewise, Richard Gilmore gave consent for Andrew and couldn't appear so
his letter was witnessed by John Gilmore and William Darnel.

I had presumed that the children born in Kentucky were all born in Warren
County. However, the family may not have been in Warren County by 1840.
The family moved to Greene County Missouri and lived in Porter Township, an
area that became part of Christian County about 1858. In the 1860 census,
James and two other children in the above list were living in Porter
Township with a widow Nancy Gilmore, age 50, west of Ozark, Missouri. It
must be that in the 10 year period from 1850 to 1860 Catherine died, John
married Nancy, and then John died. Finding their graves and tombstones
would sure help. The property of the Lambs who lived next door has been
identified. You go 3 miles west of the US 160 MO 14 intersection and turn
left. Go south unitl you reach a T intersection. The land was between the
road to the right and the James River.

The following information must be the family of William Thomas Davidson
Gilmore and his sister Margaret:

Frazier Cemetery, Boaz, Christian County, MO

Margaret Gilmore b 1841 d 1901
Wm. D. Gilmore 2 Dec. 1896
Dave W. Gilmore 16 Nov 1872-3 Oct 1950
Aggie M. Gilmore 27 May 1874- 28 Dec 1963
N. L. Son of W. D. and A. M. Gilmore
Effie Gilmore 6 Jul 1902-6 Feb 1917 wife of Oda
Willie, son of J. & M. J. 1 Sep 1882-1 Oct 1897

Frasier Cemetery is located at Boaz near James River in the area that was
Porter Township in Greene County in 1850 and in Christian County in 1860
near the Stone County border. The history of Stone County indicates that a
William D. Gilmore ran a store across the road from the Union Ridge Church
and later sold to Marion Cobb. The 1860 census of Cass Township, Stone
County shows William "P.?" D. Gilmore and wife Mary having daughter
Margaret C. This could be our William T. D. Gilmore and wife (Mary) Phoebe:

CASS TWP., P.O. Galena

214-214 - 15 Lawyer
GILMORE, William P.D. 28 m KY
Mary 22 f IL
Margaret C. 10/12 f MO

This information fits the above date of birth for William Thomas Davidson,
Gilmore. Moreover, the man named David W. and W. D. Gilmore is probably
his son using David as a nickname for Davidson.

Sarah and Louisa's uncle John W. Kirk was said to have worked at Ingram
Mill on James River. I suspect that John Gilmore must have been a miller
at a mill on James River also, given the proximity of the Lamb land to the
river. In 1880 John W. Gilmore and Willis Lamb were living in Cass
Township, Stone County, Missouri, a little over a mile south of Boaz.

Ted Stout

At 10:06 PM 6/27/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I have just joined the list and my GILMORE tree leaves much to be desired.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Dora Alice Gilmore probably b. Springfield, MO d. 6/67 Grants NM, buried
>Clever, MO. m Stephen Ira CAUGHRON d. 9/1926 also Springfield roots.
>
>Dora was the daughter of David GILMORE and Aggie WILSON whos children were:
>Dora, Charles, Oda, Earl, Maude and Edythe (d 1988)
>
>David was the son of ? GILMORE and Margaret ?, whos children were David,
Tom,
>Salley and John Henry. These also probably had Springfield area roots.
>
>I would appreciate any more information that you could provide.
>Thanks..Marilyn

This thread: