GIST-L Archives

Archiver > GIST > 2002-10 > 1034573049

From: "Rex Bertram" <>
Subject: Re: lAWRENCE CO. AL GIST FAMILY
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 00:24:27 -0500

Going right along with Carla's message as well as the message below, there is a Richard GUEST on the 1830 Walker Co. AL census. As Carla pointed out, Walker Co. is just below Lawrence Co. The Richard who appears on the 1830 census certainly seems to fit with a Richard whom married in 1821. This Richard is listed with 2 males under 5, 1 male 5-10yrs, 1 male 20-30, 2 females under 5, and 1 female 30-40. Seems to me this is probably the same Richard who married Jane in Lawrence Co. in 1821. 2 other GUEST's appear on the 1830 Walker Co. census. Christopher GUEST and the Nancy GUEST mentioned by Carla.

The AL Guest's have always been of some interest to me. ALthough I know my ancestor, Thomas GUESS/GUEST/GIST was born in KY 1809/11, he had obviously lived in AL also. I have reason to believe that he went from KY to AL as a very young child and was raised in AL. His children usually indicated that their father was born in AL. But in both census records I have for Thomas, he says he was born in KY. Obviously he must have talked to his children about coming from AL for them to think he was born there.

Rex Bertram
PO Box 651
Redkey, IN 47373

I do Free Genealogy Look-ups from many sources.
Check out my web page.
http://www.angelfire.com/in4/genealogyhelp/lookup.html

Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 10:35 PM

Pat L.---do any of the people below appear in the Book you mentioned?
Does anyone on the list connect to this family? Thanks for any help, Mary
Wallace

LAWRENCE CO. ALA
Marriage Index: AL, GA, SC, 1641-1944--Broderbund CD #3

Guest, Susan Spouse : Bowlen, Lewis [could Susan be a Sister?]
Marriage date : Oct 7, 1824
Mckinney, Jane Spouse : Gest, Richard [my gg grandparents]
Marriage date : Sep 13, 1821
***********
********
My gg grandparents were Richard Guest/Guess/Gist-----b. 1795-1800
+ Jane McKinney -b. ca. 1800 married===Sept 13,1821, Lawrence Co., Ala.

Have seen a Richard Guess on the 1836 Tax list of Itawamba Co., Ms

[Bureau of land mgt. shows a record in Itawamba Co., Ms. in 1842 for a
Richard Guess/Guest for 160 acres]
[Richard & Jane show up on the 1850 Pontotoc Co., Ms. census-H# 219~no place
of birth given, & both list ages as 50 yrs.][ on later census, their dau.
Elizabeth shows her father b. KY.]

Known children are::::::
{1}J. [James/John] Guess b. 1824 Ala. m. Jinsey Pratt b. 1824 SC [H #220
Pontotoc Co. 1850][mar. April 10, 1843, Itawamba Co., Ms.]
{2]Catherine Guess~. b. 1834 Ala. m. James M. Vaughn Oct.24, 1853 Pontotoc
Co.
{3}Docia Guess~. b. 1835 Ala. m. Joseph Gains/Goins Nov.14, 1853 Pontotoc Co.
{4}Elizabeth Guess-b. April 11, 1837 Ms. m. John B. Crumpton July 15, 1853
Pontotoc Co., Ms. [these are my g. grandparents]
<<There would be other children possibly, a David & a Lewis, but nothing
certain>>

<<Catherine, Docia, & Elizabeth show on the 1850 census, of Pontotoc Co.,
MS., with their parents. J. M. [James/John] lives next door>>