GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 1999-01 > 0916265016

From: "g.brian.wagstaffe" <>
Subject: Re:Leyshon
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:03:36 +0000

Hello Irene,
I see that Phil has given you several Leyson names in
the Neath area and will add a little more about them. It seems that the
name was variously spelt Leisan, Leison, Lyson,Leyson, Leyshon but the
family in this area were referred to as " Lleisioniaid Nedd". They
appear in Latin documents of 12-13th century ; there was an Abbot of
Neath of the name in 1421 and the last Abbot in 1539 was Leyson Thomas.
This information comes from D.Rhys Phillips "History of the Vale of
Neath". He devotes about three pages to the families and finishes with a
pedigree tracing the descendents of a William Leyson 1638-92 to the
1920`s.
One point of current interest ; one of those lost in April
1912 on the infamous White Star Steamship Titanic was one Robert William
Norman Leyson of Neath; there is a plaque in Cadoxton Church recording
the tragedy. If you get back to the Neath area let me know, one of my
ancestors was Elizabeth Leyson born 1731 in Neath,
Best Wishes Brian Wagstaffe

Tonna,Neath

Images of Old Neath Churches and other information at:
http://websites.ntl.com/~g.brian.wagstaffe/index.htm

This thread: