GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 1999-07 > 0931771284

From: "Brian Comley" <>
Subject: Welsh National Anthem (phonetic pronounciation)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:21:24 +0100

Welsh National Anthem (phonetic pronounciation)

The interest has been truly amazing. Thank you to those who sent their own anecdotes. My son tells me that because of the Welsh words scanning will not work and would require editing. He thought of putting it on a Website for all those interested to look at. So I am typing it out (phonetics in UPPER CASE) and posting it to the List and not to individuals. Please excuse any errors.

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau
MY HANE OO-LAHD VUN HAD-EYE
yn annwyl i mi
UN ANN-OOEEL EE ME
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion
GOO-LAHD BUYRTH AH CHANTORREON
enwogion o fri,
EN-WOG-YON OH VREE
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr,
EYE GOOROL RUV-ELWIRR,
gwladgarwyr tra mad,
GOOLAHD-GAHR-WIRR TRAH MARD,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
DROSS RUH-THID CO-LLASANT EYE GWIDE.
Gwlad! Gwlad!
GOO-LAHD! GOO-LAHD!
Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad
PLY-DEEOL OO VEEM GOO-LAHD
Tra mor yn fur, i'r bur hoff bau
TRA MORE UN VEER, EER BEERR HOAF BYE
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.
OH BUTH-ED EER HANE YUYTH BAR-HIGH.

Those who have some idea of the Welsh pronounciation might use a combination of the two. Can't help with the music. I though we all knew the tune.

Now let's have one more rousing chorus! and let the tears flow.

Good Luck

Brian

Brian B Comley
Porthcawl, Glamorgan (South Wales - U.K.)
e-mail -
eeserve.co.uk

This thread: