GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2000-03 > 0953411399

From: Mollie Armstrong <>
Subject: Surname DAVIES
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 06:29:59 +1000

Hello listers,
I am new to the list and hope someone can help with my problem.
My gr-grandfather Lewis DAVIES was b. between 1846-1848.in Wales.
Where? possibly Glamorgan. He was in Merthyr Tydvil
before leaving for America in 1868 -possibly via Canada first. In
August 1870, in Mahoning County, Ohio he married
Mary JENKINS, b 1848, Merthyr Tydvil, daughter of John JENKINS and
Mary (WILLIAMS nee MORGANS b.Cwm Taff
Brecon).Lewis's occupation - Fitter/Engine fitter. By 1873 Lewis and
Mary were back in Merthyr living at 1 Picton Street.
(in the 1861 Census Mary's widowed mother, Mary JENKINS ,living at 7
Picton Street, was listed as *proprietor of housES).
In December, 1880 Lewis & Mary with children Margaret(Maggie), Mary,
Annie Joan, Morgan and Thomas emigrated to
South Australia. My grandfather, Evan John (Jack) DAVIES was born
during the voyage. Lewis died in Adelaide, Sth. Australia
in December, 1883. Neither his Licence to Marry (Ohio) nor his Death
Cert. (Sth. Aust.) give any indication as to his
d.o.b., place of birth. parents or siblings. I'm at a brick
wall. Can anyone make any connection or offer suggestions.
T.I.A.

Mollie Armstrong,
Cleveland.
Sunny Queensland.