GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2001-05 > 0990397103

From: "Gareth" <>
Subject: Genuki [ was Different registration offices]
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:18:23 +0100

BJ said;
<The Genuki site is not always entirely up to date.

> Records on any site are only as good as the person who keeps them up to
date.

I don't have anything to do with those particular Genuki pages but it would
be a waste of an opportunity to leave these two statements just 'hanging
there', so up on my Genuki soap-box :-)

The second part is perhaps stating the obvious, the first bit is as true of
Genuki as it is of *any* site on the net, a standard of perfection based on
'always entirely' is almost certainly doomed to failure, in my opinion.

Genuki has 28,283 separate pages of data, or 381.1 Mb's worth.
At a wild guess I would think these are looked after by upwards of 50
volunteers.
I am one, I look after 534 pages or 6.12 Mb.
I spend many hours each week trying to make/keep these pages as accurate and
complete as possible, I strive for perfection but it would be quite amazing
if there isn't the odd mistake or out of date piece of information in there
somewhere.
Genuki has a monthly 'spider run' which checks for out of date links and
html errors which are advised to the page maintainer for amendment.
There is provision on the pages for advising any errors of fact to the site
maintainer,so when someone spots an error a simple email message should get
it amended.

So now you know :-)

Gareth
List Administrator for Dyfed, CGN & PEM.