GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2001-05 > 0990662769

From: "Brian Comley" <>
Subject: Re: 1948 Gleemen
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:06:09 +0100

Greetings David

Over the last few weeks I have experienced severe trauma with my PC. Thought
I had picked up something horrible, although unlikely as I have every email
with an attachment going straight to my Delete Box where I can have a quiet
'looksee' to see whether I even want to open the email let alone the
attachment. Had various checks made and "no virus". The I found I could not
even log on to my server, so I was lost. Got "expert" youngest son to do all
the checks and he got me up and running. It lasted a day. Apart from now
having a Virus Checker that would even detect chicken-pox (my granddaughter,
aged 2, now in final stages) my machine was running at such a slow speed
that I could walk as far as the Jolly Sailor for a couple and back whilst it
did a calculation in a spread sheet. "Expert" has been saying my kit was so
old it was no good so went out and bought a new one with all the "bells &
whistles" (less inheritance for him when I join my ancestors) and had a
proper medical on the old one. Up and running yesterday (390 mails from
Glam-L alone) but it takes some getting used to this b..... Microsoft 2k (my
1881 Census works OK). I have not yet found out how to get all my saved
emails across from the old machine. Suggestions welcome!

Now as to why I replied to yours re. "Ystrad Rhondda Labour Gleemen 1948". I
wonder whether J Cross, although being a diehard right-winger, was PC or
Sergeant Jack Cross (married to my mother's sister Kathleen). I must come up
to Ystrad and have a look for myself. I will also email cousin Trisha in
Princeton (USA) to ask in what police house they were living in 1948.

David, do you think the M. Sathiel was Salathiel?

Regards

Brian

Brian B Comley
Porthcawl (Glamorgan, South Wales)