GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2001-05 > 0990875050

From: "Huw Daniel" <>
Subject: Re: Pontycymmer collieres
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 12:04:10 +0100

Hi Judy/David,
Mot a bad theory in England, howver a walk of 5 miles
from Pontycymmer would not only take in all the pist in the Garw, Ogmore,
Maesteg and Gilfach valleys but a large slice of the Rhondda valleys.

It would also involve traversing several mountains, none of which at that
time had the convenience of a road.

There were of course the railways, but not only were they relatively
expensive for the working class to travel regularly on they would add 2-3
hours each way on a 12 hour shift so not very practible.

Your best bet David, would be to get a map of the area from the time period
you are after and ascertain the pits closest to Albany st. It still won`t be
conclusive proof where your ancestor worked, and I suspect all pits in the
Garw would be within reasonable walking distance, and as most mining records
haven`t survived (most delibarately destroyed) then it would be a "best
guess" scenario.

Regards

Huw

Thurlow & Glamlist Sponsor