GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2001-11 > 1005866066

From: "J S Coleman" <>
Subject: Re: [Glam] Pant Cemetery Crawl
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:14:26 -0000

Maps of UK at vaious scales are easy to obtain from Multimap
http://uk5.multimap.com/map/places.cgi . There is also
a site at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ but I have not used it much.
The 1:50,000 scale on multimap shows contour lines. Multimap will search on
placenames, postcodes or grid refrences. The grid reference for Pant
cemetery is about SO062093. If Pant is not good enough, try Pantyscallog,
nearby.

Pant cemetery (also known as Dowlais cemetery) is a fairly windswept spot
near Pant station, which is the terminal of the tourist narrow-gauge 'Brecon
Mountain Railway'. It is on the 335metre contour - not far off 1000ft above
sea level, on the slopes of Morlais Hill, a landscape much scarred by
quarrying, mining and tipping of mine spoil. It is the place where most of
the victims of the 1849 Merthyr Cholera epidemic were buried - and my
great-great-grandfather.

Jeff