GLAMORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > GLAMORGAN > 2009-08 > 1249421418

From: "Bryan Richards" <>
Subject: Re: [GLA] A HISTORY OF THE BEVAN FAMILY" by Audrey Nona Gamble
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:30:18 +0100

Just back from holiday and saw this thread on my e-mail

I have a full photocopy of this book which is held by Cardiff Library. My
reason for looking at the book is that one of my Great Great Grandmothers
was called Mary Ann Bevan who married David Rees of Llangyfelach in 1833.
In the Llangyfelach Parish Records Mary Ann daughter of Paul Bevan baptised
6th August 1813 at Llangyfelach. The original register has the name of the
father as Rowland, which has been scored through and Paul written
underneath. Paul is listed as a soldier in the Glamorgan Militia, residing
at Canterbury England. Her mother named Mary. Another entry 1816 records the
baptism of Sara Bevan baptised 10th January 1816 daughter , parents Paul
Bevan and Mary this time Paul is a soldier, the residence is given as
Ty-Gywn Llangyfelach. I have traced at Kew Gardens and confirmed from pay
records that Paul was a private and occasionally temporary promoted to
Corporal and based at Canterbury in 1813 in the Glamorgan Militia. On the
1st April 1814 he volunteered for the Miners and Sappers (later the Royal
Engineers)

Family folklore, from scribbles in books state that Paul Bevan was one of
six children who were orphaned and believed to be taken in by one of the
Bevan family namely Rowland Bevan of Maes Egwlys. Paul is supposed to have
gone abroad and never returned, Did he die in the Napoleonic Wars? His
daughter Mary Ann Bevan believed she was cheated out of property which
belonged to her by Old Sir Llewellyn. But Old Sir Llewellyn who ?

Is Mary Bevan a Widow who married John Evans 18th April 1818 Llangyfelach
his widow? Both signed witnesses John Morgan and John Evan.

I cannot find Paul and Mary's marriage, or their births. Their second
daughter Sarah died aged 4 and is buried Llangyfelach. Unfortunately the
book by Audrey Nona
Gamble is not clear, she admits to not knowing all the Bevan branches. we
have been looking at Paul 1706-1767 Page 26 mentions he remained a bachelor
until he was forty-eight
when he married Elizabeth phillips aged thirty and whom he had four children
Pricilla Silvanus, Paul, and Elizabeth. They were left orphans at an early
eage and placed under the care of their various relations. The families
of this late Paul Bevan is descended from this Silvanus. The mystery here is
our Paul would have been much younger than the one mention in the book as
being orphaned, was our Paul a son of one of one of the orphaned sons
Sulvanus or Paul ? Has our family myth has been muddled a little over
time.

I have not yet gone through all the references some left to look at Gower
Journal XLV, page 60 Maes Eglwys Farmhouse and Ty Gwyn Llangyfelach Sheet
15.2 also 27th May 1809 House Loughor - occupied by William Eaton apply
Rowland Bevan Maeseglwys 3rd June 1809 To Let Maes Eglwys and Heol Lydan
Farms near Swansea apply to Mr Rowland Bevan on premises. Rowland Bevan of
Kittle is he one and the same as that of
Llangyfelach ?

Regards
Bryan Richards

This thread: