GLOUCESTER-L Archives

Archiver > GLOUCESTER > 2010-01 > 1263381606

From: "Pete" <>
Subject: Re: [GLS] [!! SPAM] Caleb NEWTH, Dursley marriage in 1750
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:20:06 -0000

Hello Viv

I was the one responsible for the transcription of 18th. century records and
it comes with all the usual warnings about secondary sources. I've never
seen the CD but the original transcription was on a Microsoft Works database
which means you can sort it any way you want. I presume the CD is the same.

There are three Caleb Newth marriages at Dursley:-

Newth Caleb Bendall Hannah 1 1 1736. Hannah buried 12.8.1741.
Newth Caleb Ellis Sarah 2 12 1750.
Newth Caleb Mathews Mary 19 4 1770

and searching by Christian name of father and year there are the following
baptisms at Dursley:-

Newth Josiah 30 11 1736 Caleb Hannah Of Cam. Buried 30.7.1738.
Newth Josiah 30 10 1738 Caleb Hannah
Newth Caleb 30 5 1741 Caleb Hannah Buried 9.7.1741.
Newth Elisha 11 6 1751 Caleb Sarah
Newth Adrian 5 2 1754 Caleb Elizabeth
Newth Olive 13 3 1758 Caleb Sarah
Newth Elijah 4 11 1762 Caleb Sarah
Newth Sarah 10 12 1765 Caleb Sarah
Newth Judith Elliott 2 9 1775 Caleb Sarah Buried 10.10.1775.

This seems to make sense up to the last baptism apart from Adrian and his
mother Elizabeth. Caleb would have been about 65 by 1775 and there's a ten
year gap between the last two children. I wonder whether "Sarah" should have
been "Mary". The transcription, as far as I know, has never been proof read
and; while I tried to keep it accurate; some errors were bound to creep in.

As for Sarah Ellis, there were only four Ellis baptisms at Dursley in 100
years:-

Ellis John 25 8 1786 Thomas Eadith
Ellis Sarah 16 11 1736 Ambrose Mary
Ellis Thomas 1 9 1782 Thomas Eadith
Ellis William 12 10 1777 Thomas Edith

There are no Elliot(t)(s) baptisms to a Thomas and Edith or an Ambrose and
Mary which, at least, suggests that Ellis is right..

You presumably have Caleb's baptism and siblings:-

Newf Caleb 13 2 1710 Josiah Mary

Newth Martha 13 1 1704 Josiah Mary
Newth Josiah 12 9 1706 Josiah Mary
Newth Ann 11 11 1713 Josiah Mary