GLOUCESTER-L Archives

Archiver > GLOUCESTER > 2012-07 > 1342427470

From: Gillian Taylor Shaw <>
Subject: Re: [GLS] Marriage Francis William STANGER
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:31:10 +0100

Hi Ken

I think perhaps there is a typing error for this entry as the marriage for a
Francis William STANGER took place in 1882 in Lancashire to a Harriet
ASTLEY, looking at the Free BMD the page and volume and quarter for Harriet
ASTLEY was:

ASTLEY Harriet district Barton I. 8c 619 (Barton I) is Barton upon Irwell,
Lancashire.

Further evidence that Harriet ASTLEY married Frances William STANGER:

Lancashire Marriage: 1882
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers
At Reference
STANGER Frances W and ASTLEY Harriet at Eccles Parish St Mary's Salford
C1/25/374

1891 Census
7 Bury St, Hulme, Lancashire
William Stanger 1856 Sevington, Leicestershire, Head, Groom
Harriet Stanger1861 Manchester, Lancashire, Wife
George Stanger 1885 Manchester, Lancashire, Son
Annie Stanger 1888 Manchester, Lancashire, Daughter
Frederick Stanger 1890 Manchester, Lancashire, Son
Source: RG12; Piece: 3194; Folio: 111; Page: 24

1901 Census
3 Mount Place, Salford, Lancashire
William Stanger 1852 Leicestershire, Head, Osler Carriage Company (Groom)

Harriet Stanger1862 Pendleton, Lancashire, Wife
George H Stanger 1885 Pendleton, Lancashire, Son
Annie Stanger 1888 Hulme, Lancashire,Daughter
Arthur Stanger 1892 Salford; Broughton, Lancashire, Son
Francis E Stanger 1898 Salford, Lancashire, Daughter
Source: RG13; Piece: 3728; Folio: 136; Page: 40

1911 Census:
Ladywell Sanatorium, Eccles New Road, Pendleton and Salford, Lancashire
Francis William Stanger 1848 Shevington, Leicestershire, Inmate, Widower,
Ostler Domestic
Source: RG14; Piece: 24087; Page: 17

A child named Francis William was born in 1882 Salford and later died in
December quarter 1882 and died at the age of 7 years in 1890 September
quarter Salford.

Francis W Stanger died March quarter 1933 age 83 years Salford

Son George's baptism listed twice with Father's varying Christian names:

Baptisms: 3 Sep 1884 St Ambrose, Pendleton, Lancashire
George Henry Stanger - son of Francis William Stanger & Harriet
Born: 5 Aug 1884
Abode: 15 Bririe Street
Occupation: Horse Keeper
Baptised by: H. Sayers
Register: Baptisms 1881 - 1894, Page 44, Entry 345
Source: Parish Register

Baptisms: 3 Sep 1884 St Ambrose, Pendleton, Lancashire
George Henry Stanger - son of Francis William Stanger & Harriet
Born: 5 Aug 1884
Abode: 15 Bririe Street
Occupation: Horse Keeper
Baptised by: H. Sayers
Register: Baptisms 1881 - 1894, Page 44, Entry 345
Source: Parish Register

Best regards
Gillian