GODWIN-L Archives

Archiver > GODWIN > 2000-08 > 0966569834

From: "johuntsb" <>
Subject: [GODWIN-L] Fw: Line of James Godwin, Maryland
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:37:14 -0400

To: Susan Hobbs and anyone interested,

I've been reading more of the book, "GODWIN" by Jamie Grady. I have not been able to find the correct James Godwin who could have been the father of Mary Ann, born 1819 in MD in my direct family line.

In the 1790 census of Maryland, Queen Ann Co. shows a James Godwin with one male 16 and up, 3 females and 2 males under 16. There is also a James there with 1 male over 16, no females and 1 male under 16.

Marriage records of Talbot Co., MD show a James Godwin (marriage license) to Ann Jeffries Apr. 16, 1811.

I have found some earlier men who may have been Mary Ann's grandfather. There is a page from The Hall of Records in Annapolis, MD showing a list of early marriages

Godwin, George m. Ann Hackett 1786, d. of John and Sarah of Queen Ann Co., MD

Godwin, Thomas m. Elizabeth 1769, widow of Wm. Barton 3/29/1769. His acct. in Queen Ann Co., MD

Godwin, William m. Hannah Anghard, yr 1746, sister of John, Baltimore co., His will 5/26/1748.

Godwin, Willilam m. Mary Ann Briscoe of Kent Co., MD First marriage to Thos. Briscoe. (no dates given here). The other marriages are too late, in the 1800's. I would check this one out. There is a web page for the Maryland Archives that you can surf around. You may find this marriage date.

There were also Godwins in Caroline, Dorchester, and Talbot Co's, MD as well as Sussex and Kent Co's., Delaware.

Talbot Co. has some pretty early births in Archives of Maryland Vol. 54, p. 608.

William Godwin son of Wm. Godwin was borne the 20th day of Sept. 1668.

Edwin Godwin, son of Wm. Godwin was borne the 7th day of Jan., 1670.

Thomas Godwin, son of Wm. Godwin was borne the 24th day of Jan. 1672.

James Godwin, son of Wm. Godwin was borne the 12th day of April 1676.

Ann Godwin, dau. of William Godwin was borne the 7th day of March, 1678.

Joanne Huntsberry

This thread: