GONSALUS-L Archives

Archiver > GONSALUS > 1998-03 > 0889422324

From: CoffeyRush <>
Subject: Ella Gunsaullus Bellows' notes
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 00:45:24 EST

--part0_889422324_boundary

Dear Folks--

Here is what I had typed up of Ella Gunsaullus'. It does seem that the entire
body of the material came from Quinlan's -- previously, since Ella's
annotations are so poor, I had thought only the first few paragraphs were from
that book.

I'm attaching the material as a file because it is so long. If it doesn't make
it to all of you, tell me and I'll chop it up.

I sorted out the material and put it into what I felt was more logical,
sequential order instead of copying directly from Ella's typewritten sheets.
Edith may handle this differently, which will offer the group (and me) a
broader perspective on what the original author intended.

--Cynthia

--part0_889422324_boundary

Ella Gunsaullus Bellows (daughter of Calista Dodge and Will Gunsaullus) f=
or 60 years was a
reporter of sorts -- the local correspondant for the Baldwinsville, N.Y. =
Gazette. Meanwhile, she
was writing down whatever she could find out about her father and mother'=
s families, even
travelling to Iowa to ask relatives more about her ancestors. Notes from =
Ella include:

(handwritten sheet)
(on back:)
It is a fine thing to keep a family record as it may some time be importa=
nt.

(separate handwritten sheet)
(separate handwritten page)
Spanish Protestant
1. Manuel Gunsaullus 1689
2. Manuel
3. Manuel died 1754
4. Daniel killed by Indians 1758
5. Manuel married Sarah Bevier killed by Indians
6. Daniel moved to Ohio about 1820
7. Levi married Jane Bodley Plymouth Ohio 1819
8. William A married Calista Dodge
9. Ella J married John A Bellows
10. Claude W.
10. Frank A
10. Earl R.

Elizabeth & Manuel are family names (end of sheets)

(Note: despite what this list implies, Manuel #3 had at least two sons, D=
aniel #6 and Levi #7 who
both moved to Ohio. Levi was the father of William A.)

Ella typed up information from various county history books and othe=
r sources which are
not cited well in her transcription. An extract of her information follow=
s. She cites the History of
Sullivan County NY by James Eldridge Quinlan, found at the Syracuse Publi=
c Library, and
mentions New York Soldier of Revolution Page 192 and Page 213 Ulster Co, =
which could refer
to an antire history on Ulster County or simply a chapter or passage abou=
t Ulster in some other
book. The material she copied included many tales of battles between =
early Gunsaulluses and
Native Americans. Evidently several members of the Gunsaullus line were I=
ndian captives --
some for many years. Notice that Ulster County is where the Bodleys origi=
nated. "Uncle"
William Bodley -- Jane Bodley Gunsaullus Cribbs' uncle -- who is buried i=
n Plymouth was born
in Ulster County, NY, near the modern-day Poughkeepsie, NY. "Uncle" Willi=
am Bodley,
mentioned in local county histories, prided himself as being an Indian fi=
ghter. The Gunsaulluses'
lives in Ulster County were also entwined with those of native Americans.

To paraphrase Ella's typed history of the Gunsaulluses, it seems tha=
t in around 1700,
possibly the earliest settler at Mamakating, north of Wurteborough, was M=
anuel Gonsalus, a
Spaniard and a Hugenot fleeing religious persecution, who was likely a ca=
rpenter and a log
tavern keeper who traded with the Indians. Three or four early settlers i=
n the area shared the
name Manuel Gonsalus -- presumably father, son and grandson. On Sept. 11=
, 1689, presumably
the eldest was a member of Capt. Gerritt Tennisel's Military Company of K=
ingston serving "their
Majesties" for the county of Albany and received 12d per diem and provisi=
ons.
(Unfortunately, also included in Ella's papers were DAR papers for F=
reelove White Elam
citing Manuel Gonsaullus as her ancestor saying he served in the Revoluti=
onary War, fought
perhaps a hundred years later than the above information, also under Capt=
. Gerrets Tennises
Military Co. of Kingston, NY. DAR record 47628 filed Jan. 20, 1904.)
Ella's information continues:
Spellings of the name include Consalus, Gonzales, Gonsalus, Gonsauli=
s, Gonsalisduck,
Consaully, etc.
In 1728 Manuel Gonsalus and Manuel Gonsalus, Jr. were listed as one =
of 148 Free
Holders in Kingston and in 1738 they were member of the Foot Co. of Roche=
ster under the
command of Capt. Cornelius Hornbeck. In 1738 Manuel Sr., listed as corpor=
al, Manuel Jr.
Johanis and Joseph Gonsaulis were enrolled in the Militia of Ulster Count=
y. Dispute (in the
transcription) arises about whether the reference to "Manuel Sr." indicat=
ed Manuel the second or
Manuel the first, and whether Manuel the first could even have lived long=
enough to have come
to Mamakating, N.Y., in 1689 or otherwise.
Manuel Gonsalus the second, according to the material, married Remer=
y "Bevier," (sic.)
of the leading families of the Paltz. Their children were: Manuel (the th=
ird), Daniel, James,
Samuel and Elisabeth. This writer who Ella quotes says only the only desc=
endants known are
three of the children of Daniel: (1) Manuel, (2) Elisabeth (who married P=
eter Helm, son of
Michael Helm who was killed by Indians on same day as Daniel Gonsalus), a=
nd (3) Samuel
(whose children were Daniel, James Henry, Benjamine and Elisabeth). Danie=
l Helm, Elisabeth's
son, was the father of Jacob Helm "who died in Wurtsborough a few years a=
go".
Manuel the second kept a log tavern -- probably the county's first -=
- near the Devans' farm
in Sullivan County. They also built a saw mill, also probably the county'=
s first. They traded with
native Americans and with travellers needing shelter as they passed throu=
gh the area.
Another early settler was Conrad Bevier (never named as Remery's rel=
ative), a wealthy
farmer who built a large stone mansion later used as a fort and dwelling =
during the French and
Indian War (c. 1756+) and "still standing", according to the writer.
The lives of the children Manuel the second and Remery "Bevier" are =
highlighted here:
Daniel, Samuel, James, Manuel (the third), and Elisabeth.
A James Gonsalus, believed to be the James named above, was arrested=
by the British as
a spy or for some military offense and was sentenced to death. But Samuel=
and a Mr. Westbrook
helped him gain a pardon. The transcription sometimes says the Gonsaluses=
are said to have been
suspected of helping the Tories. At other points they are said to have pa=
ssionately despised the
"Kings" and are pronounced firmly as "Whigs" who hated the Tories.
Manuel the second's son Samuel, the first white child born in the co=
unty in around 1733
(he died in 1821), was a scout who once escaped a chase of several Indian=
shoping to catch him
by flinging himself off a thirty or forty foot precipice along the Arosta=
wasting River (?) where
young hemlocks and cedars would break his fall. Old maps show this as "Sa=
m's Point." In a
disputed story of events in 1780, Sam, Ben DeWitt and three Indians may h=
ave attempted to
capture Lieut. Col. Johanes Jensen as a maneuver during the Revolution. S=
am may have or may
not have fought on the side of the King and joined the Tories under Brant=
and Butler with the
Indians.
At any rate, Sam was "a man of great physical power, even in old age=
." A constable
attempted to arrest Sam, then rather old, by sneaking up on him when was =
in bed and putting his
hand on him saying, "You are my prisoner." "I don't know bout dat, we wil=
l see," the old man
said, then caught the constable by the waist and "churned" him until his =
teeth chattered.
Sam may have earned his toughness from watching some of the catastro=
phic results when
family members met up with native Americans.
Samuel's son Daniel, named for Sam's brother Daniel, was taken by In=
dians (perhaps
between the 1760s and 1770s?) when he was five or six and kept by them th=
ree years. As an old
man, prior to his death in 1832, Daniel told his story directly to the wr=
iter Ella quotes. During his
capture, he and some Indian children piled up stones at a creek in play. =
Years later, while at a
creekbed, he understood where he was because he recognized his pile of st=
ones. Having his
bearings, he escaped and eventually made his way back to his family. He l=
ater married Elisabeth
Kuykendal of Mamakating and died in the home of his father, Samuel.
When Sam's sister Elisabeth was seven years old (perhaps in the 1740=
s?), she was
carrying a milk pail from the house of her father (Manuel the second) to =
a field nearby. As she
stopped bo pass under the fence, she was captured by a native American. T=
errified, she did not
scream. They travelled for days over moutains and across rivers before re=
aching the Indian
village in central Pennsylvania, where she lived for twenty years.
With no sign or trace, her father could only guess that she was an I=
ndian captive. Years
after her capture when Manuel heard of a white woman with an Indian clan =
near Harrisburg
having her characteristics, he searched and found her. She had forgotten =
the names of her father,
mother and brothers, but she remembered some of the circumstances under w=
hich she was taken.
At her birth home, she went directly to the fence where she was captured =
and told her story.
In 1757, Daniel, brother to Elisabeth and Sam, was killed by Indians=
near the site of the
old stone building known as the Stanton house, built by Bevier. Stopping =
to drink from a spring
while on an errand with a stranger, Daniel and the stranger were ambushed=
. the stranger was
scalped. Daniel kept the native Americans at bay by firing some shots whi=
ch attracted dogs from
the fort, but after limping to the fort, he died. He left two children --=
Benjamen and Manuel --
who inherited considerable property and whose names appear in town record=
s until 1802.
Michael Helms was killed the same day.
Daniel's brother, Manuel the third (incorrectly stated, in this info=
rmation, to be the
Manuel Gunsaullus who married Sarah Bevier), was killed April 18, 1758 (1=
754?) by Indians
while on horseback near Phillipsport and Ellenville. His tombstone is in =
what was an orchard
near Devans Block House. Later in the writing, a reference is made to a "=
Jacobus" Gonsaulus,
said to be a son of "Manuel" (with no explanation as to which Manuel) and=
a contemporary of
Michael Helms.
The father of this large brood, Manuel the second, (married to Remer=
y Bevier), was also
captured by Indians at some point according to Ella's source, and was a c=
aptive four years, then
was exchanged in Canada. Sometimes afterwards, following the death of his=
first wife, he moved
to the Schuykill Flats and remarried, living the remainder of his life ne=
ar Philadelphia.

Those researchers interested in the name Joseph Gunsaullus will be intere=
sted in this: Ella
includes the confusing texts of one letter written as early as 1876 and a=
nother as late as 1923 by
various relatives. Two scraps of information from her:

(separate page-- handwritten)
Gunsaullus
In the spring of 1782 at Gonzalis settlement in the present town of Charl=
ton Saratoga Co N.Y. a
party of Tories and Indians attacked Joseph Gonzalis and his sons Emanuel=
and John. Joseph and
Emanuel were killed on the spot. John was carried away into captivity and=
held until after the
war ended at St Johns. The tradition is that the Seargeant of the Guard a=
t St. Johns enrolled John
Gonsalus. John was just a youngster and became accustomed to that epiller=
y and retained it after
the war. Tradition says that he finally settled on the place where his so=
n Emanuel Consalus still
lives. John died on the Emanuel Consalus farm in 1825.

In her typewritten material:

Postscript by Frank S. Gunshee, Des Moines, Iowa

"I find no record of any decendents of the child of Joseph Gunsalus who w=
as murdered in 1782
other than Joseph as shown above. Emanuel was murdered at the same time h=
is father was, and
John captured and held until after the war. He changed his name to Consol=
us. Of the decendents
of Joseph 2 I find the following.
1 George Gunsalus Newton Iowa Farmer
2 Mrs. Viola V. Kirkpatrick Reasnor Iowa
3 Mrs. Hannah Tonner Des Moines Iowa.
(other descendants named) . . .

On the same topic, a minister named Rev. F. W. Gunsaulus -- a contem=
porary of Ellas,
approximately her age, who wrote music, a published sheet of which I foun=
d amongst Dot
Coffey's things, probably given to her by Estella Meredith -- exchanged i=
nformation with Ella.
Estella marked the sheet music saying: "Karl (Meredith's) second cousin."=
Either Karl later
determined Rev. Gunsaulus' tree was different from what he offered at thi=
s unnamed time, or
Estella was using the term "second cousin" loosely. Rev. Gunsaullus, in u=
ndated material,
(typewritten transcription by Ella -- who may have inserted errors) says:

First Generation:
Joseph Gonsulus, Margaret Dutcher, married 1755, children: Elizabeth, Reb=
ecca, Emanuel
(killed by Indians 1882 (sic.) Joseph and son Emanuel), David, John (capt=
ured), Joseph, Maria

Second Generation:
Joseph Gonsulus 1769 (sic) married Nancy Dempsey, children: Peter, Willia=
m, Calvin, Joseph,
George, Lived in Cayuga Co. NY 1838 moved to Ohio and settled in Morrow C=
o., Chester
Township

Joseph Gonsaulus, Jan 1825 died 1890 married Mary Hawley, Children: Frank=
Wakesley (this
writer), Lillian, Joseph Gonsulus Jr., was an attorney of some prominence=
and at one time Ohio
Legislature.

Lillian Gonsaulus, married Rev. C.T. Brown, DD Hinsdale, Ill., Geraldine =
Gunsaulus Brown,
Clarence Frank Gunsaulus Brown.
end Rev. Gonsaulus' information

If you look close, you notice some of the dates Rev. Gunsaulus gives=
or those Ella typed
up don't make sense. For the most part I tried to keep my research focuse=
d on the stories of Jane
Cribbs, Calista Dodge and Will Gunsaullus, but I did come across this inf=
ormation in a Morrow
County history: There was a Joseph Gunsullas of Morrow County, Chester To=
wnship, born in
NY, originally from Cayuga county, NY. He married a Nancy Dempsey born in=
NY died in
1876. In an Ohio statewide index of wills and intestates, I found in 1848=
an intestate in Morrow
county -- which I didn't go to this courthouse and look up -- for a Josep=
h Gunsullus. The county
history says the above Joseph's children were: William, Joseph who was an=
attorney and mayor
and married Mary Hawley, Calvin (whose father-in-law appeared in the 1900=
soundex as Harry
Griffith -- another item I happened across), George W., and Ledema who ma=
rried a Crane and
lived in NY.

Another confusing letter Ella transcribed seems to have come from an elde=
rly relative -- then in
his early 70s -- who left out one or two important facts in his family tr=
ee. His letter was
apparently written in 1876 to Ella's cousin F. Dorr Gunsaullus, Bod's son=
, the lawyer in
Plymouth. She must've then written, years later when she was doing resear=
ch, to some of the
other relatives in the area, trying to untangle what he had said. His nam=
e was Mr. M.G. DeVoe,
born in 1803. The confusion was that Gunsaullus was his mother's line, an=
d he left her out when
mentioning his connection to the Gunsaulluses, which left things sounding=
very odd since his last
name was DeVoe. The 1923 letter from another relative explains that write=
r, Manuel
"Gunsaullus" DeVoe was the son of Elisabeth Gunsaullus (who married an un=
named DeVoe),
born July 6, 1776, daughter of Manuel and Sarah Bevier Gonsaulus. Manuel,=
the letter says, had
a brother named Benjamen. Manuel was killed by Indians as he was travelli=
ng along the road on
horseback near Phillipsport, five miles south of Ellenville.

Another letter, undated, (typewritten transcription by Ella) states:
I have heard say that some of the Gunsalus' went years ago to Ohio. =
(The writer's great-?)
grandfather's name was Benjamen, died February 1823 aged 69 years. His wi=
fe was Hilda Van
Etten. Grandfather was Daniel Gonsalus died April 16, 1845 60 years. His =
wife was Elisabeth
Smith. My fathers name was Benjamin. He had three sisters, Susan, Melvina=
and Margaret. All
died years ago, unmarried I think. Conklins, Bevier and the DeVoes were s=
ome relations, but
cannot say what.
E.S. Gonsalus, Auburn, NY

--part0_889422324_boundary--