GOODNIGHT-L Archives

Archiver > GOODNIGHT > 2011-04 > 1302402686

Subject: Re: [GOODNIGHT] Christian Gutknecht of Germantown
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 02:31:26 -0000

Author: Bud812
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.goodnight/470.1.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

While it would be nice to think they were brothers, Professor Scott Holland Goodnight in his phamphlet "The Good(K)night (Gutknecth) Family in America", did not say they were brothers. On page 20 of the phamphlet he said, "It would seem unnecessary to attempt to bolster up the history of the Goodnight family in America with the exaggerated claims found in the old tales. The true story is a thoroughly creditable one. Michael and George Goodnight, brothers - and this does not preclude the possibility that Christian, who came in 1749, may also have been a brother - came to America before the French and Indian War." Stephen William Goodnight, a descendant of George, wrote in a letter, dated December 24 1883; "You informed me that your friend had found a family of our name and that he desired that I should give some information of the family which I will give as I received it. There were two gentlemen and their wives came across the Sea from Germany of the name of Goodknigh!
t and located in North Carolina. One was named John the other George." Stephen William was a grandson of George and probably received his information from his father Michael.

The information posted by me, in the original post, was obtained from the Church Records and the Stammtafeln of Bischweiller Germany. The records are available from the nearest Family History Library of the LDS Church and are; "Evangelisch Reformierte Kirche Bischweiller 1710-1746 and Bischweiller Stammtafeln Band V and VI."

The data in the records is indisputable, the conclusion is mine alone.

Bud Goodnight

Important Note: