GOODYEAR-L Archives

Archiver > GOODYEAR > 1999-07 > 0933053433

From: <>
Subject: [GOODYEAR-L] Re: Goodyear-Sperry info
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:30:33 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/99 3:10:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

<< The part that interests me is that of why did Margaret (xxx) Lamberton
Goodyear built a house for Richard Sperry, and more importantly why did
Stephen Goodyear have him become his farmer. >>

I am interested in the part about Margaret building Richard Sperry a house
also. Is that info in the Goodyear part of Ancient Families or the other
book? Could someone copy that and share it with me? I descend from Richard
Sperry and Dennis Goodyear, and am trying to connect her to the Goodyear
family.

I thought that I had the Ancient Families info, but what I have is a
photocpoy of "That Great Sperry Family".

FROM "THAT GREAT SPERRY FAMILY", pg 152.
Richard Sperry was the earliest and original Sperry in North America. He was
born 16 February 1606, the sixth and last child of John and Mary Sperry in
the Thurleigh Parrish of Bedfordshire, England. He died at New Haven, CT.
some time after signing his will on the 18 April 1693. He was among the
original and early settlers of New Haven, CT. being there in 1638 and first
mentioned in New Haven history 4 January 1643: "Fined for
having a defect in his gun cock." He came to New Haven, CT. as a gardener or
farmer for Deputy Governor Stephen Goodyear, who was an agent for the Earl of
Warwick. At New Haven he met and married Dennis Goodyear. She died in 1707.
They had ten children. It is possible that other Sperrys emigrated to
America at this time, but the vast majority of Sperrys in the United States
and Canada relate to this Richard through his ten children.

It was on Richard Sperry Sr.'s farm that the cave was located which protected
the Regicide Judges Goffe and Whalley from the Crown officers of the restored
Monarchy in England. He supplied food and supplies while they hid there."

>From "THE COLONIAL FAMILIES of AMERICA", Vol I, pgs 70-85, AM 190:
Richard Sperry, the founder of the Sperry Family in America, was a native of
England according to family tradition. He came to the New Haven, Connecticut
Colony as early as 1634. He was at that time, according to report, acting as
an Agent for the Earl of Warwick, who was a pirate.

Harrison Spencer Sperry, the author of THAT GREAT SPERRY FAMILY, 1977, found
in searching the old English records during the summer of 1971, the families
of Richard's father and grandfather in the Thurleigh Parish of Bedfordshire,
England.

As recorded in Stile's History, "Richard Sperry resided in the second house
between Mills Creek and Hudson's River. He is particularly deserving of a
place in history reflecting from the fact that it was he who afforded
protection for a considerable period of time to the 'Regicide Judges,
Whalley, Goffe, and Dixwell'." The story runs like
this:

On the restoration of the Stuart Dynasty to the British Throne in 1660, a
General Amnesty was proclaimed by Charles II, the new King of England.
However, the members of the Cromwellian Court who had condemned his father,
Charles I, were not included in this Amnesty. Revenge must have it's day.

Of the 59 men who had signed the death warrant of the Tyrant King, only 35
were still alive, and still residing in England in the year 1660.
Immediately on the new King's order, 27 of the unsuspecting victims were
arrested. Nine of them were forthwith beheaded. The more cautious others,
hearing of this murderous vindictive action, fled in terror from England and
went into hiding. Of these, three prominent men, Major-General Edward
Whalley, Major-General William Goffe, and Colonel John Dixwell, somehow
secretly got aboard a ship and fled to the New Haven Colony. There they were
well-received by a known sympathizer, Richard Sperry, an Anti-Royalist and a
Great Christian. Richard Sperry secreted them onto his farm at West Rock in
a cave now known as the
"Judges Cave".

The children of Richard Sperry carried food to them. They left it at a
certain designated place in the nearby forest. At night the hunted men would
come out of the cave and secure the food. Until the pursuit lost its steam
and gradually died out with time, they were kept safely there, even though
large rewards were offered for their capture. The house of Richard Sperry
was constantly under surveillance. It was twice thoroughtly searched by the
"Red Coat Police" with this interest in mind. Capture meant certain death to
both Whalley and Goffe and punishment of some sort to Richard Sperry and John
Dixwell. The two men were special objects of the King's vengeance in
consequence of the prominent part these men (Whalley and Goffe) took in the
governing affairs of the "Oliver Cromwell Protectorate", an assemblage or
council which governed England and its Colonies from 1653 to 1659.

The three Fugitives were not really safe until 1688 when the Stuart Dynasty
was succeeded by the House of Orange in England. It is aboundantly obvious
here that these three refugees did not stay in this cave until 1688. It is
most likely that they remained there until the heat was off. Then they
quietly and possibly under assumed names , lost
themselves in the bustling activity and new life of the Colonies. The point
is this: members of the most prominent families and the best blood of England
came to the New World for many, various and sundry reasons. These three men
are outstanding examples of this particular point.

In the New Haven Colony, Richard Sperry, Governor Stephen Goodyear's farmer,
took a prominent part. Richard Sperry was granted a large tract of land,
still known a Sperry's Farms, in what is now the town of Woodbridge, CT. He
was given Full Colony Fellowship as a freeman in the year 1644. Members of
his family were active in the Colony's affairs and they married and
intermixed with some of the finest families in both the "Old and the New
World". They were part and parcel of a new governmental philosophy and
culture which was emerging there.

Anything you all can add to the information I would appreciate. Thank you
for your time.

Emily Irons Rogers

This thread: