GOONS-L Archives

Archiver > GOONS > 2006-03 > 1142333730

From: Andrew Millard <>
Subject: Re: Fw: [G] St. Magnus the Martyr, London Bridge
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:55:30 +0000 (GMT)

Shelagh

The description of the church for the National Monuments Record can be
seen at
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/search/fr.cfm?rcn=NMR_NATINV-1035150
(if you agree to the terms) and another version at
http://pastscape.english-heritage.org.uk/hob.asp?hob_no=1035150
neither of which mention any surviving fabric from before Wren, which
suggests there isn't any. Pastscape gives two references which will have
more detailed descriptions:

1998 London : the City churches
by Simon Bradley and Nikolaus Pevsner
The buildings of England Page(s) 97-9

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Vol 627
City of London, 10-NOV-1977

If you are lucky there may have been an antiquary who visited before the
fire and recorded the inscriptions. London's Past Online: a bibliography
of London history
http://www.history.ac.uk/cmh/lpol/index.html
has the following books that might be useful:

Aggett, David T. (comp.). The church of St Magnus the Martyr by London
Bridge... : a history. Sunbury-on-Thames, Middx.: The author, 1996

Tull, George Francis. By the fish market : the story of St Magnus the
Martyr. Ashford, Middx.: Manor P., 1976. 13 p., illus.

Norman, P. 'The church of St Magnus the Martyr.' Transactions of the St
Paul's Ecclesiological Society, 7 (1911-15), 121-5.

VCH for London will probably also describe any antiquarian records or
surviving pre-Wren fabric.

Andrew