GOONS-L Archives

Archiver > GOONS > 2006-12 > 1165138996

From: "Glenys Marriott" <>
Subject: Re: [G] recommended reading
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 09:43:16 -0000

Howard wrote>
> Having read: A history of British Surnames - R.A. McKinley
> The Surname Detective - C.D. Rogers
> Family Names And Family History - D.Hey
>
> Could members of the board recommend similar general or regional texts?

Dear Howard

Not an obvious choice but one of my favourite 'thrillers' is by the Revd
John Breay 'Light in the Dales' volume 2 and 3. ISBN: 1853111392

Don't be put off by the title, as there is something for everyone in here.
John traces the agrarian background to the rise of political dissent in the
northern dales in the 16c and 17c and the change in political and religious
ideals of the early Quakers in the dales from 1652.

He reveals what the Northern Customary Tenantry endured at the hands of
their landlords, The Pilgrimage of Grace, and the vigorous nonconformity in
the mid 17c are described. The only downside is that it is not fully
indexed - only 'famous' people, but I managed to find 3 of my direct line
CUMPSTONs in there - on the downtrodden side of course.

Volume 1, containing the Quaker registers of Ravenstonedale, Grisdale and
Garsdale is published separately.

John Breay, born in Windermere in 1919, spent many years of his clerical
career in parishes in Cumbria. He is also the author of A Fellside Parson -
Joseph Brunskill and his Diaries 1826-1903. ISBN: 185311104X

With best wishes
Glenys in the Yorkshire Dales
Guild of One Name Studies No 3797
Searching for CUMPSTON, CUMPSON, CUMSON, COMPSTON, COMPSON everywhere
www.bishopdale.demon.co.uk

This thread: