GOONS-L Archives

Archiver > GOONS > 2006-12 > 1165144707

From: "Sue Hedges" <>
Subject: Re: [G] recommended reading
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 11:18:27 -0000

Dear Howard

I'm not sure if this fits in with your requirements but I would highly
recommend Joseph Arch by Pamela Horn. This is the biography of Joseph Arch
1826-1919 of Warwickshire who was instrumental in the formation of the
National Agricultural Labourers' Union in 1872. This book also describes
the reasons behind the emigration of many farm/land workers to Canada and
describes the appaling conditions in which ag labs worked and lived
.
I would suggest this is an absolute must read for all of us with ag labs in
our families - so I would imagine this would be of interest to most.

BTW Joseph Arch with his wife and two of his children are in the 1881 Census
living at Barford Warwickshire, Joseph is described as President Lab Union.

This book is now, I believe, out of print but there are several copies for
sale at www.UKBookworld.com - beware some at *very silly* prices but there
is one for 4GBP and another for 8GBP. I have no connection with this site.

Best wishes

Sue
Researching the HEDGES surname World-wide
The Guild of One Name Studies No. 3288