GOONS-L Archives

Archiver > GOONS > 2006-12 > 1165147067

From: "Roy Stockdill" <>
Subject: Re: [G] recommended reading
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 11:58:03 -0000

From: Howard Mathieson <>

> The snow is beginning to pile up at the back door and a long winter
> awaits:
>
> Having read: A history of British Surnames - R.A. McKinley
> The Surname Detective - C.D. Rogers
> Family Names And Family History - D.Hey
>
> Could members of the board recommend similar general or regional
> texts?
>
> Howard Mathieson
> Winnipeg Canada

One book all one-namers and anyone with an interest in surnames
absolutely must read is "Surnames and Genealogy: a New Approach" by
George Redmonds.

This has been published twice - first in 1997 by the New England Historic
Genealogical Society of Boston and again in 2002 by the Federation of
Family History Society (Publications) Ltd. The ISBN of the latter
publication is 1 86006 159 1. I imagine you will find it on the Internet,
probably at the Amazon website.

Dr George Redmonds is the acknowledged doyen of Yorkshire surnames
- far better than David Hey, in my opinion, and a much better speaker,
too, as I am sure members who have heard both speak will testify.

Redmonds challenges some cherished beliefs and theories about
surnames, especially those supplied by some of the surname
dictionaries.

R Stockdill (2534)

This thread: