GOONS-L Archives

Archiver > GOONS > 2006-12 > 1165426781

From: John Marsden <>
Subject: Re: [G] recommended reading
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:39:41 GMT

Sonia

One of my favourite reference books is "The Parish Chest" by W E Tate. This will tell you a vast amount about the parish and its wide variety of functions and about the information that you can find in parish records. It is published by Phillimore and probably still in print though you may find you can get a deal on a second hand one from www.abebooks.co.uk

John

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:21:51 +0000, sonia turner wrote:
> Hello to everyone.
>
> Recently I read with interest about books that were 'recommended
> reading'.
> One in particular that caught my eye was 'Surnames & Genealogy- A
> New
> Approach' written by George Redmonds.
>
> I have decided to purchase this from the Guild Bookstall very soon.
>
> However, may I ask for any other suggestions before I do.
>
> My family research began at the end of February this year. I am
> largely
> involved, at the moment, with ancestors from Victorian London and
> York.
>
> I have traced my three times great grandfather, Joseph Hansom, to
> Micklegate, York in 1804 and am hopefully going to find out more
> about his
> father, also Joseph, which should take me back to about 1780.
>
> One of my great grandmothers was from Mile End, London, migrating
> to Notting
> Dale area. Isabella was the 'laundress' who featured in one of my
> previous e
> mails ! Sadly she could not write and is proving difficult to take
> any
> further right now.
>
> If any of you have some general books that might be useful for me to
> purchase, I would really appreciate it.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sonia Turner
> 4661

> Windows Live Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for
> free!
> http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb

This thread: