GOONS-L Archives

Archiver > GOONS > 2006-12 > 1165427446

From: "Roy Stockdill" <>
Subject: Re: [G] recommended reading
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:50:46 -0000

From: "sonia turner" <sonia-

> Recently I read with interest about books that were 'recommended
> reading'. One in particular that caught my eye was 'Surnames &
> Genealogy- A New Approach' written by George Redmonds.
>
> I have decided to purchase this from the Guild Bookstall very soon.
>
> However, may I ask for any other suggestions before I do.
>
> My family research began at the end of February this year. I am
> largely involved, at the moment, with ancestors from Victorian London
> and York.
>
> I have traced my three times great grandfather, Joseph Hansom, to
> Micklegate, York in 1804 and am hopefully going to find out more about
> his father, also Joseph, which should take me back to about 1780.
>
> One of my great grandmothers was from Mile End, London, migrating to
> Notting Dale area. Isabella was the 'laundress' who featured in one of
> my previous e mails ! Sadly she could not write and is proving
> difficult to take any further right now.
>
> If any of you have some general books that might be useful for me to
> purchase, I would really appreciate it.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Sonia Turner
> 4661<

One that is absolutely invaluable is "The Dictionary of Genealogy" by
Terrick V H FitzHugh. This has appeared in a number of editions, is in an
A-Z format and is one of those books you can dip into at any page and
learn something you didn't know.

"Ancestral Trails" by Mark Herber is widely regarded as perhaps the best
and most comprehensive general work on genealogy available today,
while I can also recommend two more of George Redmonds' books,
"Names and History: People, Places and Things", and "Christian Names
in Local and Family History".

"Searching for Surnames" by John Titford is an entertaining general read,
too. Finally, "Making Use of the Census" by Susan Lumas is a useful
guide to census returns.

--
Roy Stockdill
Guild of One-Name Studies: www.one-name.org

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about,
and that is not being talked about."
OSCAR WILDE

This thread: