GOSNELL-L Archives

Archiver > GOSNELL > 1999-07 > 0932146328

From: Kathi Jones-Hudson <>
Subject: Charles Gosnell Jr.
Date: 16 Jul 99 13:32:08 EDT

Harold and all:

Here is Part 1 with some of my comments, additions, etc. to Harold's very
nice postings on Charles Gosnell, Sr. I will start with Charles Gosnell, Jr.
and work my way through all of Charles Sr.'s children.

Charles Gosnell (Sr.) born around 1730 in MD, probably in Soldier's Delight
Hundred area; which is in Baltimore Co., possibly around Reisterstown: I have
a map of the area circa late 1700's and the Gosnell properies appear in the
northwest corner of Soldier's Delight. Married to ELLEN ?-have no additional
information on her. Their children:

Joshua Gosnell born 1757 died 1851,
Nicholas Gosnell born 1761 died 1847,
Peter Gosnell born 1764 died 1844,
Morris Gosnell born 1768 died 18?? -- died after 1810?
Charles gosnell born 1772 died 1864

Charles Gosnell, Jr. b: 1772 in Bedford Co., VA married 1st Sarah Elizabeth
Lindsay b: abt 1774 in Greenville, SC - died 26 Sep 1810. Married 2nd Lucy
Pruitt b: abt 1795 died after 1860.

I have a different spelling for Lindsay - Harold's posting was Lindsey. Also
have no information on the family of Sarah E. Lindsay, including brother
George or how Jane Lindsay/Lindsey was related to Sarah. There are many
marriages between Gosnell's and Lindsay's in Greenville; would be very
interested in knowing how all the Lindsay's connect (or not).

Children of Charles Jr. and Sarah Lindsay/Lindsey:

1. Morris b: 16 Nov 1794, Greenville d: Abt. 1872 also Greenville married Jane
Lindsay. I have a bunch of children for this couple; 14?? Some information
came from the internet and some came from a direct descendant.

2. Mary b: after 1790 married Elijah Pruitt.

3. Joshua Gosnell b: 15 Feb 1800 in Greenville, SC d: 9 Feb 1880 in Madison
Co., NC married 1st Elizabeth Delila Bowers b: at 1802 in Greenville d:
1870-1880 in Madison Co., NC, daughter of Thomas Bowers. I have 9 children
listed for them. 2nd married Hannah Onor Gunter b: abt 1810 - a widow with 8
children from Mr. Gunter.

Children of Charles Jr. and Lucy Pruitt

1. Nancy b: abt 1813 married Jacob Ballew
2. William b: abt 1816
3. Charles Gosnell, III b: abt 1818 d: 1883 in Greenville. Married Judith Sams
abt 1836 in Yancy Co., NC and had 10 children
4.John b: abt 1821 d: 1909 married Sarah Pruitt & also "Elizabeth"-don't know
which came 1st. With Sarah he had 9 children.
5. Wiley b: abt 1820 died between 1861 & 1870. Married Sarah Gentry b: 1813 d:
aft 1899 daughter of Elias Gentry and Mary Ann Stanton. 11 children.
6. James b: 1820 d: 1910
7. Elizabeth b: 1825 d: 1911 married Joshua Lindsay (again the Lindsay/Lindsey
folks)
8. Sarah b: abt 1826 d: aft 1900 married Jacob Lindsay
9. Peter b: abt 1815 d: abt 1883 married Mary Caroline Howard b: 1818 Glassy
Mountain, SC daughter of James Howard and Rachel Lindsay. 10 children:
Mary b: abt 1835
Angelina b: abt 1837
Joshua b: abt 1839 married Elizabeth (no last name)
Rachel b: abt 1842
Lucy Julia b: abt 1844
Charles Richard b: 18 May 1846 d: 26 Jan 1921 married Malinda Plumley b: 29
Oct 1848 d: 10 Jul 1898
James b: abt 1848
Peter Davis b: abt 1851
Wilborn Howard b: abt 1857
Jane

This is where my Howard folks come in -- James parents were Thomas Howard
and Mary "Polly" GOSNELL. She was born about 1765 and died after 1840 in
Greenville, SC. Parents are unknown but I suspect that she may be a daughter
of Charles Gosnell, Sr. Many marriages and connections between the two
families suggest a "cousinship". Her daughter married a son of Joshua Gosnell
son of Charles Sr. The 2 families attended the same church, and according to
several people, Gosnell-Howard are two connected names in Greenville.

Does anyone have information on any daughters of Charles Sr.? I have been
told he definitely had daughters who came with him from Maryland to
Greenville. A will? Is there a will for Charles Sr. and has anyone seen it?

Kathi Jones-Hudson
Truly Genealogy Addicted
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/4395
Snowglobes