GOULD-L Archives

Archiver > GOULD > 2006-11 > 1163348195

From: "George W. Page" <>
Subject: Re: [GOULD] George Lorenzo Gould, NY, 1809
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 11:16:35 -0500

My records support your thesis, with a few additions and corrections:
William Deake Gould's mother was Elizabeth Deake (Dake)..
The only other know Deake who seems to be able to be this person is
Mary Deake, b. 17 Jan 1721/2, the daughter of George Deake. She m(1)
Edward Davis, (ancestry unknown), at Stonington, CT on 9 Dec. 1744.[
Stonington Vital records, Vol. 111, 75 and 86 (3:39) she as Drake,
performed by Rev. Wait Palmer --- See Scott Andrew Bartley, "The
Deake/Dake Family of Westerly, RI and Their Descendants," p. 12,
which states nfr (No further record) ]

Here are my notes about his family:

William GOOLD was b. on 24 July 1758 in Monson, Hampden Co., MA, the
son of William & Elizabeth GOOLD [I.G.I. C502551 Dates 1755-1837
Source: 0904741; Film 0883762].

After m. on 25 Dec. 1792 in Westfield, Washington Co., NY they
resided in Whitehall, Washington Co., NY for 12 years (until Feb.
1804) and then moved to (Scipio, Cayuga Co., NY and to Nunda,
Livingston Co., NY. (in Dec. 1817).

William and wife, Abigail Corthell, had 11 children of which only 7 are known.
Daniel, b. 1801;
Levi; b. 1810;
Buel, b. 3 April 1811;
Calvin C., b.c. 1812;
George [My only note for him states "Lived at Craig Colony."]
Millie;
Eliza

William in service at Fort Stanwix in NY during the Rev.
War. Enlisted 24 July 1777 Westminster, County Windham, State of
Vermont at 21 years old on that day. [A Nathanile Gould was
enumerated in the 1785 census of Windham, VT] Capt. Blakesley for six
months. Joined the New York State troops at Albany, Recd Bounty of
Forty shillings. Marched to Bennington, Vermont and joined a
regiment commanded by Colonel Markum. Immediately after his joining
the regiment at Bennington they marched to Albany NY and joined the
troops under the command of General George Clinton and was
immediately sent down the Hudson River to West Point. Went to
Havestraw, dauber ferry and Stoney Point. He was born 24 Jul 1756
(sic, 1758 per IGI) in the town of Munson near Boston (sic, Monson,
Hampden Co., MA near Springfield and Brookfield). Moved to
Westminster, Windham Co., Vermont when eight years old. In summer of
1778 he moved to Skeensborough, White Hall, (Washington Co.,)
NY. Feb 1804 he moved to Scipio Twp., Cayuga Co., NY. In Dec 1817
moved to Nunda Allegany County NY.

A William Gould was enumerated in the following census records:
1781 Rupert, Bennington Co., VT;
1781 Greenfield Co., VT;
1788 Manchester, Bennington Co., NY;
1790 Federal Census: Bennington, VT with (01-01-00-00-00);
1800 Federal Census of Washington Co., NY with (30010-100100);
1810 Federal Census of Cayuga Co., NY with (30001-22110) [p. 079];
1820 Federal Census of Nunda, allegany Co., NY, p. 040;
1830 Federal Census of Nunda, Alleghaney Co., NY p. 129;
1840 Federal Census of Nunda, Alleghaney Co., NY, p. 272;
1850 Federal Census of Nunda, Livingston, Co., NY. Neg. William
(dead); Neg Abigail;
1850 Federal Census of Nunda, Livingston, Co., NY.: Calvin L. Gould,
p. 33; Levi Gould p. 062;
1850 Federal Census of West Sparta, Livingston Co., NY:Daniel, pp. 381 & 387.

It is interesting to note that a William Gould Deake/Dake was a
contemporary of William Deake Gould while they were both in the
Nunda, Livingston Co., NY, area. They both served in the Rev. War.

GWP