GOWEN-L Archives

Archiver > GOWEN > 2000-05 > 0958083968

From: "Arlee Gowen" <>
Subject: FW: Clotworthy Gowan
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:26:08 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugh Casement [mailto:]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 12:37 AM
Subject: Clotworthy Gowan

Mark,

I can't really answer your question, except to say that Clotworthy Gowan was
stated in the Mauleverer entry in Burke's »Landed Gentry« (1886 edition and
earlier) to have been a son of the Rev. Clotworthy Gowan, MA (Dublin),
rector of
Inver, Co. Derry. A glance at Alumni Dublinenses and the Rev. James
Leslie's
»Derry Clergy and Parishes« shows that the reverend gentleman must have been
very old when Clotworthy junior was born: I think he was more probably a
grandson.

The lords Massereene, who used to own a large amount of land near Antrim,
were
nearly all called Clotworthy Skeffington. I know nothing about the
Clotworthy
family, but they must have been influential to have given rise to a forename
in
at least two other families. I think it was the 2nd Viscount who was
detained
in Paris by revolutionaries in 1789 and in grave danger of losing his head;
he
escaped by dint of marrying his jailer's daughter, but later left her and
shacked up with a chambermaid in London (he was fairly well off his rocker
by
then). My GGGGfather was his land agent at Antrim Castle, and may have
diverted
some of the noble lord's funds to his own advantage.

In another line I'm descended from a sister of Anne Mauleverer who m. her
2nd
cousin Robert Lindesay, also from Ulster.

Hug

This thread: