GOWEN-L Archives

Archiver > GOWEN > 2000-05 > 0958083969

From: "Arlee Gowen" <>
Subject: FW:Clotworthy Gowan
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:26:09 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Mauleverer Porter [mailto:]
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 11:25 PM

Hi All,
ANNE MAULEVERER was a younger sister of my 4 X great grandmother, SARAH
MAULEVERER. Colonel GOWAN was the son of Reverend CLOTWORTHY GOWAN, Rector
of Invern, County Derry. I have no earlier information on the GOWAN family.

The eldest son of Anne and Gowan, WILLIAM, changed his name to MAULEVERER,
by act of Parliament, on succeeding to the Arncliffe property, on the death
of his aunt, in 1833. William, who married HELEN ABERCROMBIE, had two
daughters the youngest of
whom, GEORGINA HELEN MAULEVERER married DOUGLAS BROWN. The property, as far
as I know, now belongs to the BROWN family which has descendants in Jersey,
Channel Islands.

There is a book, " Ingleby Arncliffe and its Owners " written by WILLIAM
BROWN F.S.A. 1901, which I have been trying to obtain, unsuccessfully, for
some time.

Interestingly as the name MAULEVERER died out with the marriage of the
daughters of William and Helen another descendant of the the GOWAN family, a
Barrister of Lincolns Inn, also assumed the name of MAULEVERER, by act of
Parliament.

I was, until now, unaware of the dates reflected in the original message
from Mark in Halifax. Thank you very much.

I trust this may of interest to someone. My reference is a published
pedigree of the MAULEVERERS of Arncliffe Hall.

Regards

Derek - A Londoner in Cape Town

> " marriage of Anne MAULEVERER on Sept. 14th 1780 at Arncliffe, to
Clotworthy GOWAN of Bessingby, near Bridlington. esq and of the East India
Service.
> He died Sept 25th 1809 , having attained the rank of Colonel, and was
buried at Weston near Bath. She died June 1st 1832 and was buried at St
Martin-in-the-Fields on June 7, They had issue. "

> I wonder how Colonel Gowan came to have such an unusual first name and ask
if anyone has come across this before.

This thread: