GOWEN-L Archives

Archiver > GOWEN > 2000-05 > 0958415168

From: <>
Subject: Re: Goin Family History
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 100 03:28:25 GMT

Hi, Arlene,

It is a pleasure to receive your message, and we are grateful to
Leon for pointing you in our direction.

Our information identifies your father as William Parlon Goin, b1918,
Amity, OR
son of
William Dempsey Goin, b1897, New Tazewell, TN
son of
John Goin, b1872, Goin, GN
son of
William Goin, b1838, Claiborne Co, TN
son of
Pleasant Goin, b1808, Claiborne Co, TN
son of
Levi Goin, bc1778, Washington Co, NC [later TN]
son of
Thomas Goin, bc1755, Brunswick Co, VA,

Thomas Goin, regarded as a Melungeon, was living in a cluster of
Gowen Melungeon individuals in Brunswick Co, VA, suggesting the
possibility of his surname being Gowen originally.

Your family legend is correct; Goin, TN was so named in 1884 for
your family when the postoffice was created. The postoffice was
discontinued in 1965, but Goin, TN is still going!!!

I am ccing your message to the Foundation Forum which includes a
multitude of your Goin cousins, many of whom will want to con-
tact you I am sure. You will find no better source of family
documentation and lore than these energetic researchers. Chief
among these is Dianne Stark Thurman who in 1996 published "Goin
& Variants."

Many of these cousins have pooled their research into Section
132 of the Foundation Manuscript. You will find it online begin-
ing on page 13102 at the Foundation Website at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/gowenrf.

Good huntin'

Arlee

On 01/10/2000 1:09PM, in message, Arlene M Noles <>
wrote:

> My name is Arlene (Goin) Noles. I am just beginning to research
> my family tree and was referred to you by Mr. Leon Meyers.

> The understanding is that two Goin brothers immigrated from Ire-
> land, year unknown, but probably mid 1850's. My father's name is
> William Parlon Goin, born 5-13-1918. His father's name was
> William Dempsey Goin, born 5-21-1897, died 4-16-67. Beyond that
> I have no confirmed information.

> The family settled in Claiborne County Tennessee and there is
> still a Goin road. Some of my relatives still live in that area
> and remember a community named Goin, Tennessee that had a post
> office.

> Any resources you can recommend will be greatly appreciated.

> Thank you,
> Arlene Noles

This thread: