GOWEN-L Archives

Archiver > GOWEN > 2000-07 > 0964758217

From: <>
Subject: Re: New Gowen/Goin book
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:23:37 EDT

In a message dated 07/27/2000 12:18:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

<< I am answering your e-mail of January, 2000. My family is from Claiborne
County, Tennessee and earlier decendents were from Washington County, NC and
Brunswick County, VA.

My father is William Parlon Goin b1918 in Amity, Oregon.
Lineage is as follows:
William Dempsey Goin, b1897 New Tazewell, TN son of
John Goin, b1872 son of
William Goin, b1838 Claiborne County TN son of
Pleasant Goin, b1808 Claiborne County, TN son of
Levi Goin, bc1778, Washington County, NC (later TN)son of
Thomas Goin, bc1755 Brunswick County, VA.
That's as far back as I can go. I am hoping to find the names and dates of
arrival in US of original 2 brothers who immigrated from Ireland. William
Parlon Goin was one and I don't know the other. I also have a copy of will
of William Goin naming his wife, Elizabeth, two sons, Levi and Pleasant, son
William, daughters Sophia Dameron and Elizabeth Murphy.

In addition I have a letter to Eli Goin b1825 to his brother Isaac Goin
b1806 naming a lot of siblings and relatives which include the family name
Keck.

I visited Tennessee last summer and there are still Goin people in Claiborne
County namely Tazwell and New Tazwell. Lester Goin who is my half uncle
still lives there. I visited 3 cemeterys, Pleasant Point and Fords Chapel
and third one I couldn't find a name. There are a lot of Goin relatives some
who intermarried with the Keck family. There is still an incorporate town
of Goin, Tennessee and a Goin Road.

I am new at this so I hope to converse with someone who can lead me in the
right direction. If I can be of any further help, please let me know.
Cousin Arlene