GRAMMAR-L Archives

Archiver > GRAMMAR > 1997-12 > 0881124499

Subject: Re: John Grammer
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 22:48:19 -0600

Dear Alice:

You wrote:

> The thing that caught my eye in your message was that you have an
> ancestor Joel Grammer. There is a Joel Grammer in the Grammer
> family that is my line and that makes me wonder if there might be
> a connection. It would seem that Joel is not such a common name that
> it was used widely.

You are correct that Joel does not seem to be a name commonly used at that
time. However, Joel is a name that is quite common in my GRAMMER line.
The first instance I have of it was Sen. John GRAMMER's son Dr. Joel
GRAMMER (1809-1861) However, it was used quite often in my family line
after that, as were the names John, William, Jacob, Mary, Elizabeth and
Sarah.

> My John Grammer was born in VA, as far as we know. He was married
> to Elizabeth Abernathy in Dinwiddie Co., VA in 1792.

Sgt. John Grammer (also spelled at times as GRAMER) was born in Lancaster,
PA in 1750. He married Elizabeth (Unknown) in 1771. Among their children
were:

Jacob
William - (born 1774 and died 1828 in Union Co., IL)
John - (born 1780 in either NC or VA and died Nov 1849 in Union, Co.
IL)
May/Mary

(There were other children, but I do not yet have their names.)

Sgt. John Grammer died in Fayette County, KY in 1793. Someplace in my
files I have a copy of his will, in which his children (listed above) are
mentioned.

I have a great deal of information about the GRAMMERs in Illinois (and a
large variety of other places) and am in the process of trying to get it
put into my FTM program.

I started my search in 1981 and was very fortunate to have as a friend (and
a not so distant relative), an elderly gentleman named John Wright who had
done very extensive research on the GRAMMERs (his wife's family). He was
very generous and shared his research with me.

There was a saying in the Union/Jackson County area in Illinois, that you
couldn't throw a rock without hitting a GRAMMER.

Hope this helps!

Karima