GRAY-L Archives

Archiver > GRAY > 2000-09 > 0969980736

From: "Barbara Weaver" <>
Subject: Re: [GRAY] Wm & Rachel (Curry) Gray (m 2/13/1810 in NC)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:05:36 -0700

The name Pinkney is "uncommon" enough that in 20 years of research, I've run
across it only twice ... It's a county name, (in New York, I believe) and
it's the name of a number of Grays. For that matter, "unusual" names
abound, in the Gray family ... from Alson to Ithamer.

It's why I keep thinking that there must have been some "Pinkney" Gray
earlier than the 1800's, who these fellows were named after!

Regarding Marion Madison & Lucy ... about when did Marion die? And where?

Barbara

> Dear Barbara,
>
> Thank you for your reply. We do not really know where MARION MADISON GRAY
> was born, though I believe that he and LUCY KIDD were married in GA. The
> speculation that MARION MADISON may have been born in GA or SC most likely
is
> based on the place of his marriage and the fact that LUCY KIDD's family
was
> originally from SC---York and Chester Counties.
>
> The appearance of the name PINKNEY/PINCKNEY in our two GRAY family lines
does
> make one wonder about an earlier common ancestor. Or, is it possible that
> PINKNEY/PINCKNEY was a name that was popular in those days?? Does anyone
> know?
>
> Best regards,
> Kaye Stoneking
>
> In a message dated 9/25/00 11:07:24 PM, writes:
>
> << Forsyth and Guilford Counties are in the northern area of NC. Stokes
is

> right at the northern edge, and Forsyth had at one time been part of
Stokes

> county. It's pretty much just west of being northcentral <g>
>

> My guess would be that it isn't more than 30 miles from Forsyth or
Guilford

> county to the Virginia border.
>

> I haven't unearthed the origins of the name Pinkney, and agree with you,
>
> that it just seems like such an unusual name, that it's hard to imagine
that

> we don't tie together somehow. But in NC, there were some really
>
> INTERESTING Gray names ... Ithamor and Alson, for instance. Pinkney isn't
>
> (as it turns out) all that unusual a Gray name. I've heard from several
>
> descendants of Pinkney Grays. If we only could follow it BACK far enough,
>
> I'm sure there must be SOME reason for such unusual names!
>

> For that matter, the name Philo isn't a common name. I wonder if it was
>
> short for Philoman (from the Bible, I believe). I know I've read the name
>
> Philoman somewhere.
>

> As far as we know, our Pinkney is the only Pinkney there was in the
family.

> But then ... we haven't been able to find out who his parents were. We
keep

> plodding along, trying to uncover anything at all, and every time I come
>
> across another Pinkney, I jump at it. I just heard from another Pinkney
>
> Gray descendant, whose Pinkney was born in 1850 in Indiana. He moved to
>
> Illinois later (I believe that's where he died). Maybe with all of us
>
> working together, we'll be able to find something.
>

> You've followed your family back farther than I've found mine. In 1870,
my

> Pinkney was 46, could not write, and was born in NC according to the
census.

> In 1873, he moved to Indiana with his family. I know he was born 1/8/1824
>
> but don't know who his parents were. He was evidently Quaker (or became
>
> Quaker because of his wife, Sarah). His mother's name was Rachel,
according

> to the Quaker records. Well, I can't find a single Rachel Gray in any of
>
> the Hinshaws. We don't know his father's name. It was evidently
illegible,

> because Pinkney's parents were listed as ------- and Rachel Gray.
>

> Had Marion Madison Gray been born in Georgia? Or do you know? I notice
>
> that Pinkney was born in Guilford County, NC
>

> I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
>
> Barbara

GRAY

> > ancestors---you had an ancestor named "PINKNEY" GRAY, and so did
>
> I---PINCKNEY
>
> > PHILO ("PINK") GRAY, who was born in Rock Creek, AL in 1883 and died in
>
> > Etowah Co., AL in 1964. I have always wondered where my grandfather
>
> GRAY's
>
> > name "PINCKNEY" originated. Was this a common name in your GRAY family
>
> > line? My GRAY family line also has some other unusual names in it
though

> > will have to look up some records for my complete list.
>

> > The parents of PINCKNEY PHILO GRAY were JAMES LEWIS GRAY (16th AL
>
> Infantry,
>
> > CSA) and MARY JANE RUSSELL of Rock Creek, AL, and JAMES LEWIS GRAY's
>
> parents
>
> > were MARION MADISON GRAY (fought in War of 1812) and LUCY KIDD, who
>
> migrated
>
> > from Georgia to Alabama. It is thought that MARION MADISON GRAY may
have

> > been born in either South Carolina or Georgia though this is not
certain.

> > His wife LUCY KIDD was descended from a line of three JOHN KIDDS in York
>
> and
>
> > Chester Counties, SC, near the North Carolina line.
>

> > Since your PINKNEY GRAY family appears to have been in the Carolinas in
>
> the
>
> > early 1800's, I wonder if there could be any connection with the GRAY
>
> family
>
> > line which later produced my PINCKNEY PHILO GRAY. Where in North
Carolina

> > were Forsyth and Guilford Counties?
>

> > Is anyone else on the list descended from the GRAY family line which I
>
> have
>
> > described above?
>

> > Best regards,
>
> > Kaye Stoneking
>

> > In a message dated 9/22/00 8:09:58 PM, writes:
>

> > << We have found a marriage record for Rachel Curry and William Gray on
>
> > 2/13/1810 in NC (I believe it was either Forsyth or Guilford county).
We